What's new

Best Setup for AP Mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amorak

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

Since my Internet Provider only gives us a combined router/modem (that has an undisableable router portion), I think I have to run this in AP mode, so that the devices connected to my wireless router can connect to items plugged into the router physically (ie NAS in the basement).

So, since I think I have to remain in AP mode so that everything can talk (unless I can somehow use full-mode in Merlin but use the DHCP server from the ISP-router?) Can anyone provide me some optimal settings for AP mode?

Hi guys,

Since my Internet Provider only gives us a combined router/modem (that has an undisableable router portion), I think I have to run this in AP mode, so that the devices connected to my wireless router can connect to items plugged into the router physically (ie NAS in the basement).

So, since I think I have to remain in AP mode so that everything can talk (unless I can somehow use full-mode in Merlin but use the DHCP server from the ISP-router?) Can anyone provide me some optimal settings for AP mode?

Some modem/router will still be able to work as a semi-bridge. What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL + PPPoE, Cable DHCP, etc...), and what model is your modem/router? Also, is it running a firmware version that was castrated (I mean, sabotaged... errr... "Dumbed down"? Let's stay polite here :) ) by your ISP, or does it seem to be the original firmware for the device?

For example, some of Bell Canada's modem/routers will automatically act as a semi-bridge if you remove all PPPoE authentication from it, disable DHCP, and configure your router to send itself the PPPoE login credentials. The modem will pass the PPPoE connection query through, making it transparent from your router's point of view.

Some modem/router will still be able to work as a semi-bridge. What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL + PPPoE, Cable DHCP, etc...), and what model is your modem/router? Also, is it running a firmware version that was castrated (I mean, sabotaged... errr... "Dumbed down"? Let's stay polite here :) ) by your ISP, or does it seem to be the original firmware for the device?

For example, some of Bell Canada's modem/routers will automatically act as a semi-bridge if you remove all PPPoE authentication from it, disable DHCP, and configure your router to send itself the PPPoE login credentials. The modem will pass the PPPoE connection query through, making it transparent from your router's point of view.

Wow Merlin, the depth of your knowledge is never-ending! :cool:

I am with Telus in Calgary, using their "optik" service. The unit is an Actiontec V1000H combo router and modem. I don't see anything online on getting it to work as a semi bridge, but that would be awesome! Then I could use the RT-N66U in full router mode as I had hoped!

Wow Merlin, the depth of your knowledge is never-ending! :cool:

Nah, it's just that I have to deal with that kind of craptastic router/modem combos here in Quebec thanks to Bell. Back when I was with them, I kept the same old Speedtouch @ Home for nearly 10 years because it was a dumb modem which worked fine. When I switched to ADSL2+ and they gave me that 2Wire disaster of a modem/router, it spent 5 mins on my desk, then went in the closet and got replaced by a Speedstream I brought from work.

I'm free from this now that I switched to Cable, going through Teksavvy (the company for which I work is a whole-seller for them).

I am with Telus in Calgary, using their "optik" service. The unit is an Actiontec V1000H combo router and modem. I don't see anything online on getting it to work as a semi bridge, but that would be awesome! Then I could use the RT-N66U in full router mode as I had hoped!

I assume that Optik service is FTTH (which means you can't just replace their modem with a more "standard" one)? Unfortunately I'm not familiar at all with that modem, but you should try checking on the DSLReports forums. I believe they have a sub-forum for Telus there. Someone there might have a solution for you.

So I figured out how to disable the DHCP. NAT and UPUP in the Actiontec. However I am not sure hwo to set it up so that the Asus is now the primary router, uin terms of cabling. Do I go from teh acitontechs router port to teh WAN port on the asus? Cause that didnt work with router mode selected on teh asus...

Any suggestions on setp, now that I have disabled DHCP, etc on the Actiontec?

I have no idea how the modem actually sets up the WAN connection with Telus, so I wouldn't know. Have you checked on DSLReports?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!