What's new

Best setup for RT-AX88U/AX58U/AC88U/AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diceburna

New Around Here
Main: AX88U
Other rooms : AX58U/AC88U/AC86U

Getting very bad latency spikes at times and intermittent bandwidth drops, (even btwn the AX88U and AX58U) on aimesh mode. Even have an intel ax200 card in my laptop and thats not even connecting all the time to wifi 6 network. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Edit: FYI to add tonight while laptop connected to the AX58U via wired speedtest results were ping: 14ms/DL: 0.14Mbps/UL: 94.24Mbps

Last edited:
How big is your home? Why do you have 4 'whole home' routers to cover it?

Are you using a single SSID? Are you using Airtime fairness? Smart Connect? Universal Beamforming? Are you using Auto Channel? Are you using a previously used SSID? If so, use different SSIDs for each band. Disable the other options and use a specific Control Channel for each band instead.

Try turning off the entire network. Turn on the AiMesh nodes and wait at least 5 minutes.

Now, turn on the main router and wait at least 15 minutes before doing any heavy networking.

If the network is still unstable, try resetting the nodes to factory defaults (use the reset button or the WPS button method) and leave them running. Now, reset the main router (see the M&M Config guide in my signature below) and perform a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Make sure to follow the suggestions in the second paragraph above when setting it up. Also, create a never before used 8 character SSID for each band and a 16 character password both being strictly alphanumeric with no punctuation, spaces, special characters or smiley faces in them.

Sorry, the above isn't in proper order. Try turning off the network first and see if that helps, then continue to the other suggestions. :)

Edit: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

The guide above by @OzarkEdge may be more helpful than my ramblings above. :)

Last edited:
How big is your home? Why do you have 4 'whole home' routers to cover it?

Are you using a single SSID? Are you using Airtime fairness? Smart Connect? Universal Beamforming? Are you using Auto Channel? Are you using a previously used SSID? If so, use different SSIDs for each band. Disable the other options and use a specific Control Channel for each band instead.

Try turning off the entire network. Turn on the AiMesh nodes and wait at least 5 minutes.

Now, turn on the main router and wait at least 15 minutes before doing any heavy networking.

If the network is still unstable, try resetting the nodes to factory defaults (use the reset button or the WPS button method) and leave them running. Now, reset the main router (see the M&M Config guide in my signature below) and perform a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. Make sure to follow the suggestions in the second paragraph above when setting it up. Also, create a never before used 8 character SSID for each band and a 16 character password both being strictly alphanumeric with no punctuation, spaces, special characters or smiley faces in them.

Sorry, the above isn't in proper order. Try turning off the network first and see if that helps, then continue to the other suggestions. :)

Installed a couple of new .ax6 intel drivers, power cycled, ran a few diagnostics......I'll tinker with it some more this week. Didn't change password bc its late. But its been stable so far...

Getting very bad latency spikes at times and intermittent bandwidth drops, (even btwn the AX88U and AX58U) on aimesh mode. Even have an intel ax200 card in my laptop and thats not even connecting all the time to wifi 6 network. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Edit: FYI to add tonight while laptop connected to the AX58U via wired speedtest results were ping: 14ms/DL: 0.14Mbps/UL: 94.24Mbps

I’m guessing you are on the latest firmware for the AX88U - I would recommend falling back to .6436 or simply disabling AX.

Secondly...How close are the nodes to one another? Are they on a wired backhaul or wireless? If they are close to one another, AIMesh (and all consumer mesh products really) share the same channel so they compete with one another if they are too close together - my network speed went way up when I reduced my mesh nodes then switched to AP mode on the nodes (meaning I had to individually manage them).

Curious to see what happens when you fall back to .6436 firmware.

Although @L&LD thinks this is really not a problem and that everyone else is running just fine.

Okay, that makes sense. Where did I do this? :rolleyes:

Okay, that makes sense. Where did I do this? :rolleyes:

Tired of your victim blaming. Elsewhere you have made a repeated claim that intermittent connectivity drops on this router & firmware is an isolated issue. Obviously it is not isolated.

I would be more productive is trying to find the common thread between us. One that seems to be the case is that we are not running merlin.

Victim blaming? Repeated claims on 'this router and firmware'? What router? What firmware?

I am using RMerlin firmware.

I think you're trying to stir up something that is not there?

Victim blaming? Repeated claims on 'this router and firmware'? What router? What firmware?

I am using RMerlin firmware.

I think you're trying to stir up something that is not there?

The AX88U with .7968.

that’s my point… I don’t think the merlin users are experiencing the connectivity issues that the rest of us are.

The point then seems to be; why aren't those same users using the working RMerlin firmware instead then?

Going back to old firmware is beyond my level of understanding when newer firmware is available that works. :)

The point then seems to be; why aren't those same users using the working RMerlin firmware instead then?

Going back to old firmware is beyond my level of understanding when newer firmware is available that works. :)
As in ... why don’t they use an unsupported firmware instead of a factory supplied one ?

I would debate to the contrary. RMerlin firmware seems to be much more supported than official Asus firmware is? At least in these forums?

And furthermore, major parts of this unsupported firmware you speak of has been integrated into official release Asus firmware time and again.

I understand buying something and having it work all 'native'. But we're in gray areas here. ;)

In the end, everyone involved with this is just human in the end and sure, they can and do all make mistakes. I simply choose to use the version that is the most up-to-date and works instead of recommending increasingly older and more insecure firmware as time goes by. :)

I would debate to the contrary. RMerlin firmware seems to be much more supported than official Asus firmware is? At least in these forums?

And furthermore, major parts of this unsupported firmware you speak of has been integrated into official release Asus firmware time and again.

I understand buying something and having it work all 'native'. But we're in gray areas here. ;)

In the end, everyone involved with this is just human in the end and sure, they can and do all make mistakes. I simply choose to use the version that is the most up-to-date and works instead of recommending increasingly older and more insecure firmware as time goes by. :)

again, my point is that you are not being helpful. A helpful response would be “many folks are having the same issues you’re having with the stock firmware. Perhaps revert to an older firmware build that is more stable like 6436, or try installing Merlin.“

instead, you are sending people on a wild goose chase of troubleshooting. I have not seen one user with one of your responses, pointing to your signature setup guide, who has successfully resolved their issue.

perhaps it works if there is a configuration issue. But this is not that.

And again, to me, your post is below the experience I possess today and would never recommend that course of action as a default. :D

They can't work for everyone, granted. But they have worked for many. ;)

384.15 of my firmware is based on 384_7756, so that would differ from stock 7968.

Another difference is that I disable Airtime Fairness by default, while Asus keeps it enabled by default. That would only come into effect if one were to do a factory default reset while using my firmware however, or if they manually disabled it.

People having stability issues should disable that setting first thing, as a lot of low-end wifi devices are having compatibility issues with it enabled.

384.15 of my firmware is based on 384_7756, so that would differ from stock 7968.

Another difference is that I disable Airtime Fairness by default, while Asus keeps it enabled by default. That would only come into effect if one were to do a factory default reset while using my firmware however, or if they manually disabled it.

People having stability issues should disable that setting first thing, as a lot of low-end wifi devices are having compatibility issues with it enabled.

Thanks for this. The issues I’ve seen with 7756 and 7968 is with AX clients that slow to a crawl. Disable / re-enable WiFi - then it works for a few hours.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!