What's new

Best solution for the paranoid

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cake

I need advice on where to put the router, switch, UPS, POE for the AP and maybe a small server (odroid or similar). The part I need advice on is that I am a little leery of putting a bunch of electronics in a closet especially when the home is wood and in a tropical environment. The biggest worry would be the UPS. I am remodeling a large portion of my home currently, so I was wondering the best way to keep all these devices. My thoughts are a small rack cabinet, but I'm not sure if that would put my fears to rest (should the UPS or a AC/DC adapter start on fire). I was thinking something like this and mount it over the closet door. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you put your router in this metal cabinet and the router includes the wireless AP for your WiFi networked devices as most SOHO all in one routers do then your range will be impacted. As a general rule for best range and coverage WiFi APs need to be centrally located and mounted as high as possible. If they are inside a cabinet or closet then range will be reduced.

I am not sure why you are worried about fire. A closed closet or closed rack seems all the same to me. The equipment needs air circulation based on the number of BTUs given off.

If you have a large home use multiple wireless APs on each end of the house not centered.

Thanks for the replies.
I will go with the rack and place it above a door to a closet. Was thinking I could use cement board on the bottom and sides, and leave the top as it is so it could the enclosed rack can vent to the attic. I did plan to keep the AP antenna outside the steel box :) I know what a Faraday cage is. I was kinda wondering about the new homes that are being built. Maybe the contractors put a metal place next to the breakers that all the Ethernet wires run to?

Thanks for the replies.
I will go with the rack and place it above a door to a closet. Was thinking I could use cement board on the bottom and sides, and leave the top as it is so it could the enclosed rack can vent to the attic. I did plan to keep the AP antenna outside the steel box :) I know what a Faraday cage is. I was kinda wondering about the new homes that are being built. Maybe the contractors put a metal place next to the breakers that all the Ethernet wires run to?
The picture further down in this attached article shows a typical install in a new production home. Lennar homebuilders using Ruckus switch, Kevo hub, consumer's choice of cable modem and router. Ruckus AP's. Integrated by Amazon Corp. It's a Legrand 30 inch high all plastic network box with holes punches for ventilation, no metal pieces or panels. It does have protected power outlets with small electrical outage sirens built in at bottom . Smoke detector outside door. As far as I know, Lennar is the only builder in the U.S. doing this on a standardized large scale. My Lennar Amazon installation has been fine so far. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...xa-built-into-all-new-homes-lennar/584004002/

Last edited: