What's new

Best stable firmware for XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lammypie

New Around Here
I am currently using firmware 42095 on my four XT8's. Two are hardwired whilst the other two are wireless backhaul. I want to get advice on whether there is any later version of the firmware that is stable that can support a mixed setup? Reading the various posts, I'm not hopeful.

Unless you test it on your environment, the various posts you read may not apply.

Particularly, if you don't flash the firmware you want to use, then perform a full reset to factory defaults (and then only do a minimal and manual configuration). If you find any issues, of course.

Reading the various posts, I'm not hopeful.

Your question has no answer for about 2 years already. Folks around are constantly upgrading and downgrading firmware in search of "the best" one. You may have to experiment what works best for you. I would start with latest available Asuswrt, reset for a fresh start, test. If it doesn't work well, read what most people use and try again. If your system is working on current firmware with no issues - read and decide if you want to disturb it or not.

Thanks. Looks like I need to make a decision on whether to upgrade or not, and if so, be prepared for lots of testing and possibly pain.

If your TX8 is running one of the latest 386 base firmware - wait for more stable 388 firmware. There are some issues with 388 for other routers as well.

No need to wait. Testing isn't painful. Jump in with both feet, the waters fine!

Before you do though, on your current firmware, create a backup config file. Also download the current version of the firmware you have installed now.

If the new firmware does not meet your needs, flash the saved firmware back onto the router, reset it to factory defaults, then import your saved configuration.

No pain, just easy-peasy.

I used to be for a long time in 42095 and even updated few times to newer version but had quite a lot of drops etc. Then finally version 21617 came and since that I've been stable than ever in 2 years. I have two XT8 and both running wired connection in access point mode. Main router is UDM Pro.

Latest version currently is 22068 but I have no experience on it and I'm bit afraid to upgrade since this 21617 is working so well at the moment.

I am currently using firmware 42095 on my four XT8's. Two are hardwired whilst the other two are wireless backhaul. I want to get advice on whether there is any later version of the firmware that is stable that can support a mixed setup? Reading the various posts, I'm not hopeful.

hah, good luck figuring out which one is most stable, everybody has their own opinion...... personally I'm eyeing the wifi7 tp-link omada stuff

Reading the various posts, I'm not hopeful.
I've been using the GNUton 386.07_2-gnuton1 firmware since its release back in August of 2022. 386.07_2-gnuton1 is a fork from the Merlin firmware releases, and it has been rock solid stable for my 3 node XT8 mesh. You can find the firmware here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

You need to download the release for RT-AX95Q (which is the actual model number for the XT8). Follow the standard firmware upgrade process and you should be fine.

The XT8 was a problem child for me(I bought and returned multiple to rule out a bad router, all were v1.0 FWIW). Some times it was fine for weeks and then after updating to a new release, backhaul stability went out the window. I would revert back to the previous version that worked perfectly for weeks and the backhaul connection would still drop. I would try factory resets, every firmware from 42095 to latest, it didn't matter, backhaul connection would drop after some time. I then decided to try the XT9 and that router was been solid, no matter what firmware I use/test, backhaul connection has never dropped like all the XT8s I tested did. Not sure if v2.0 fixed all the issues I had as I never got a chance to test one but I would say there's a reason Asus released v2.0 and the XT9

Last edited:
I've been using the GNUton 386.07_2-gnuton1 firmware since its release back in August of 2022. 386.07_2-gnuton1 is a fork from the Merlin firmware releases, and it has been rock solid stable for my 3 node XT8 mesh. You can find the firmware here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

You need to download the release for RT-AX95Q (which is the actual model number for the XT8). Follow the standard firmware upgrade process and you should be fine.

Same here, 3 node and now more solid than any other firmware I've had in 2 years. Thanks so much @GNUton

hah, good luck figuring out which one is most stable, everybody has their own opinion...... personally I'm eyeing the wifi7 tp-link omada stuff

oho, I didn't realise synology had a new router (rt6600ax) out.. and it has support for VLANs just bought a couple, hopefully goodbye XT8?

Last edited:
Only got the XT8s in Nov, so certainly not a long history, but 21617 has been stable for me (after a number of tweaks).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!