What's new

Best "Switch" to split AC66U signal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
Best "Switch" or "Router" to split AC66U signal?

Hi All,

Can someone recommend a reliable device that will split the internet signal (using cable) to connect other media devices? It's unclear and confusing to me if I need a "router" or "switch".

My AC66 is fine, this one is my Sister's Xmas presents. I will run a hard line from her AC66U into their living room. I need to "split" this to the ethernet ports on her new TV, ROKU, Onkyo, and BD player.

I also need to create some sort of "Guest" account when her friends visit.

Last edited:
If you just want more Ethernet ports beyond the four ports on the router, then what you need is a network switch. Any inexpensive Gigabit network switch would be fine (I use a cheap TP-Link myself), just keep in mind you will need one port on both the router and the switch to uplink them together.

Thank you sir. After a few hours of research, this seems to be the ticket. Although released in 2010, this D-Link DGS‑1008G has the best reviews (210/5 stars, Only 6/1 star) by far out of all the 5 and 8 port switches. Their 2012 newer "Greener" model has few reviews..that are not so good.

s0433690_sc7

1120-03-2.jpg

Last edited:
A network switch is really a very basic device so for home use I would go for one of the cheaper models of a well known brand. (I even use two 8-port switches of a not very well known brand at home and haven't had any problems with them).

The most common problem for a network switch today seems to be a failing power supply. The second most common problem is overheating due to bad placement.

...The most common problem for a network switch today seems to be a failing power supply. The second most common problem is overheating due to bad placement.
Good point. I noticed on several "Green" units they are moving the power supply to a brick in the cord, like a laptop. They pitch "less heat and longer lifespan" of the device.

Good point. I noticed on several "Green" units they are moving the power supply to a brick in the cord, like a laptop. They pitch "less heat and longer lifespan" of the device.

All devices I have use a direct plug-in power supply. But even those can fail, I know Linksys for example have had a reputation of bad power supplies. They were replaced on warranty, but it's frustrating anyway.

I use Netgear Prosafe switches. Nice, well-built metal boxes that do the job without being super-expensive.

I have one eight-port gig switch (GS108) and one four-port gig-switch (GS104) hanging off my AC66U, and they work fine. Bought both off Ebay, one used, one factory-refurbished, and shaved some more off the retail price.

I use Netgear Prosafe switches. Nice, well-built metal boxes that do the job without being super-expensive.

I have one eight-port gig switch (GS108) and one four-port gig-switch (GS104) hanging off my AC66U, and they work fine. Bought both off Ebay, one used, one factory-refurbished, and shaved some more off the retail price.

Got the GS108Tv2 myself and it is a nice switch if not a tad bit overkill.
Do like the fact that Netgear seems to keep the firmware updates for this hardware updated regulary it is now up to Firmware Version 5.0.5.7!;)

Attachments

• Firmware Version 5.0.5.7.jpg
    Firmware Version 5.0.5.7.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 402