What's new

Best Use for 3 Asus Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doggyofone

Occasional Visitor
I have been given a brand new Asus RT-AX57. The current routers I have are an Asus RT-AC86U (4 or so years old) and an RT-AC87U (8 years old). The 86U and 87U are in bridge mode (cannot mesh), with the 87U in the basement and the 86U handling the bigger load on the main floor of our bungalow.
I would like to retire the 87U and then put the 86U and AX57 into mesh mode. Would the 86U still be considered the better router on the main floor, where most of the traffic occurs, or should I use it in the basement with the AX57 as the "primary" upstairs?
Sorry for the newby-ish question.
Thanks for your response.

RT-AC87U - better recycle, old router with no support, AiMesh incompatible
RT-AC86U - look for replacement, common hardware and software issues, approaching EoL
RT-AX57 - one of the cheapest Asus AX entry-level models, weak CPU and barely enough RAM

I don't see a good router to build a new system around it.

Questions like yours are tough to answer, because simply listing the routers and their locations doesn't really tell us how you use your network/what devices you have connected to it. Before we can get to (if you'll pardon the expression) skinning your particular cat, you'll have to give us more details.

IDK what all you have eating wifi, or how you like/need to use it, but if there are things like smart TVs, gaming consoles or desktop computers near the AC87, you might consider turning it into a media bridge for them and take them individually OFF the wifi where possible (Media Bridge mode turns a router into a switch that connects everything wired to it on ONE wireless connection to the system router/internet, rather than several). That's IF you mesh the AC86 to the AX57 (wired backhaul? it's a bungalow...there isn't a way to connect the two with an ethernet cable?) and make a bigger wifi5/wireless AC bubble for the AC87 to connect to. I'd still lean towards making the AX machine the router for your phones/watches/tablets to connect to, (and the AiMesh Master/Nexus/Router rather than a node), because they're probably wifi-6 capable.

@Tech9 is right about the AC87...it's at End of Support by Asus. The AC86 doesn't look to be too far behind it, so you'd best prepare to buy a replacement for it if security is any concern.

RT-AC87U - better recycle, old router with no support, AiMesh incompatible
RT-AC86U - look for replacement, common hardware and software issues, approaching EoL
RT-AX57 - one of the cheapest Asus AX entry-level models, weak CPU and barely enough RAM

Bin them and move on...

Just saying - some folks might say, "save the whales" but honestly they're not worth the hassle...

The only good router above is RT-AC86U. Approaching EoL, but still supported. If it works properly - much better hardware than both RT-AC87U and RT-AX57 and perhaps with better coverage too. If it covers the place with good Wi-Fi - the other routers are not needed. Wireless bridges (Media Bridge), eventually.

I would keep this one around as a spare, and as a AIMesh node, or dedicated AP it should be fine...

Wireless Bridge could also be an option,,,

Thanks for the responses.
I have the 87U and 86U (primary) in bridge, connected by a fairly long ethernet cable. We have all kinds of devices connected, including 2 printers, 6x Fire Sticks, TV's, receivers, light switches, phones, laptops, tablets, watches, robot vacs, security cameras, etc. We stream everything we watch.
The 86U shows 30 clients, not all connected all the time. We have 1.6 GB internet service, which rarely reaches 1 GB.
From the responses I'm seeing it looks like keep the AX57 as a mesh (basement and lightest use) and get a new primary. Would you recommend the AX86U and/or the AX82U, or a different Asus product.?

You have to be more specific, use the right terms. I don't know what is "in bridge, connected by a fairly long ethernet cable". Are they Access Points (AP Mode)? What is doing the routing? What do you need the new Asus router for?

Thanks for the responses.
I have the 87U and 86U (primary) in bridge, connected by a fairly long ethernet cable. We have all kinds of devices connected, including 2 printers, 6x Fire Sticks, TV's, receivers, light switches, phones, laptops, tablets, watches, robot vacs, security cameras, etc. We stream everything we watch.
The 86U shows 30 clients, not all connected all the time. We have 1.6 GB internet service, which rarely reaches 1 GB.
From the responses I'm seeing it looks like keep the AX57 as a mesh (basement and lightest use) and get a new primary. Would you recommend the AX86U and/or the AX82U, or a different Asus product.?

Only look at the newer AX ones: Specifically the AX86U PRO model, not the older variants (non-pro).

You have to be more specific, use the right terms. I don't know what is "in bridge, connected by a fairly long ethernet cable". Are they Access Points (AP Mode)? What is doing the routing? What do you need the new Asus router for?
Sorry, I meant "access point". I have a long ethernet cable going from the AC86U to the AC87U. The AC86U carries most of the bandwidth load and is on the main floor, while the 87U covers the basement (tv's/fire sticks, vacuum). The AX57 was given to me brand new, so I thought I could mesh it with the AC86U to maybe improve the system. My question was whether or not to replace the 87U with the AX57 and mesh with the AC86U. The AX86U is an option for me and I may go that way. It has been suggested that I replace the RT86U with the AX86U Pro, due to end of life approaching.

Just saying - some folks might say, "save the whales" but honestly they're not worth the hassle...
What if someone were to travel back in time and visit us looking for a whale so they can save the future?

Depending on who 'us' is, they may find a whale.

But they'd have better luck looking in the ocean. ;)

But honestly, the future can't be saved. It's more like the Terminator franchise than Back to the Future, IMO.

There is no future, there is only now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!