What's new

Best VPN service provider for use as Router-based Wireguard client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTnola

Regular Contributor
My router (RT-AC86U) runs asuswrt-Merlin, if that matters to anyone…

been a PIA person forever, but they don’t support router-based configurations for Wireguard, and the workarounds that I know of aren’t that enticing (requiring constant tweaks, etc., just to under-deliver)

it’s that time of the year again for me (VPN service renewal time), so I’m considering other options. Any thoughts on the best VPN service for use as a router-based Wireguard client?

Thank you!!

been a PIA person forever, but they don’t support router-based configurations for Wireguard, and the workarounds that I know of aren’t that enticing (requiring constant tweaks, etc., just to under-deliver)

it’s that time of the year again for me (VPN service renewal time), so I’m considering other options. Any thoughts on the best VPN service for use as a router-based Wireguard client?

Thank you!!
I use Mullvad on my AC86U and it performs flawlessly. I set it up on both VPN1 and VPN2 to two different Mullvad servers so if the connection to VPN1 goes down, the router shifts to VPN2. Works like a charm. Also since Mullvad is paid month to month you can try it out and if you don't like it find another solution.

Using VPNDirector, I use Mullvad on the router for my phones and various IOT devices. I use the Mullvad app on my desktop because it's more flexible (I can easily change servers and can run certain apps outside the VPN). You can find more info on the Mullvad site mullvad.net.

I use AirVPN on my AX86U with no issues. They support both OpenVPN and Wireguard router clients through configuration files. Also they offer port forwarding between VPN public IP and your LAN devices private IP. They have also a three-day fee for only 2€ so you can try before deciding.

I use Mullvad on my AC86U and it performs flawlessly. I set it up on both VPN1 and VPN2 to two different Mullvad servers so if the connection to VPN1 goes down, the router shifts to VPN2. Works like a charm. Also since Mullvad is paid month to month you can try it out and if you don't like it find another solution.

Using VPNDirector, I use Mullvad on the router for my phones and various IOT devices. I use the Mullvad app on my desktop because it's more flexible (I can easily change servers and can run certain apps outside the VPN). You can find more info on the Mullvad site mullvad.net.

But Mullvad only supports OpenVPN on router, not Wireguard. Instructions here https://mullvad.net/en/help/asus-merlin-and-mullvad-vpn/

Last edited:
I use Surfshark on a Asus AX88U Router, My internet is 450Mbps, when connected to wireguard i average 400-430Mbps down.

I also use SurfsharkVPN and have a ASUS RT-AX88U with ASUSWRT-Merlin Firmware installed. Can't seem to be able to configure the VPN using the ASUS Firmware which has Wireguard or even OpenVPN using ASUSWRT-Merlin Firmware. I would much prefer to have Wireguard than OpenVPN. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Thank you!!
Hello @JTnola

I do have an tip for you. If you choose VPN Unlimited (KeepSolid) as your VPN provider, i do have a referrer code "Z6LiT7gww4D8OiD3wKsq". Use it to get a 20% discount.
VPN unlimited provides on it´s homepage a quick and easy way to get the config files for various VPN protocols, like WireGuard if you like, it is just a few clicks and a button push and done. Download the file and upload it, done. VPN configuration setup just nice.

But there is also VPN out of Germany from Shellfire. Shellfire also supports the WireGuard VPN protocol and provides a solid support page with instructions how to set up the WireGuard VPN with the WireGuard application to create a WireGuard configuration file. And if you do not like to configurate the setup just buy the Shellfire Box which is the easiest way to benefit from the VPN server and WireGuard protocol.

VPN Unlimited allows you to not only set up a single WireGuard VPN connection, it allows you to set up multiple WireGuard connection at the same time. So you can fill the whole 5 WireGuard slots at once an switch between different VPN locations easy wi8th just a few click on the WebGUI of the router.

View attachment. Just like my set up.

Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    89.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Screenshot (53).png
    Screenshot (53).png
    153.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I’ve realized that Wireguard makes zero sense got router implementations at this time, so I’ll stick with OVPN for the router and only use Wireguard on mobile apps away from my home WiFi. Thanks y’all.

Thank you!!
I would not trust PIA anyway, they have new owners and word gets around on what they have done in the past.

Uses wireguard, you can pay with bitcoin, cheap, has tutorials, works with my setup.
Thank me latter.

By the way,
You router squeals on you like a little piggy. trendmicro is not your friend.
I would suggest throwing your router in the trash and getting something with pfsense or opnsense on it. Buy a AP from amazon and qotom j1900 from china. That is if you take vpn privacy seriously.

What is your general option regarding VPN deals and subs?

For ex. i got my first VPN sub 11 years from now from Shellfire (German provider) with a Shellfire Box to have it easy and cheap to protect my whole Network at home at once. It was a InDieGoGo campaign and i selected a "Lifetime" bundle which costed 300 €. 300 € was a lot in the past. But now after more then 10 Years and counting. The VPN service becomes cheaper and cheaper which every year. Recently the Status of the Company improved from "UG" to "GmbH" which not only shows its financial success and promises a further and healthy status of the Provider it self. Also so they will not end there VPN service in the close future which is positive, because if the company becomes bankrupt or closes in any case they most likely will also stop there VPN service and my "Lifetime" spending will also become worthless.

So 300 € for a Lifetime sub which was/ is expensive, but they recently added WireGuard Protocol to there service as well. ;)

Then my Second VPN "Lifetime" deal, for 20 $, if you can believe it, also 11 Years ago. I do not remember from where it got that code, but it was way ahead in the past when "KeepSolid/ VPN Unlimited" was still "KeepSolid/ VPN Unlimited " and not part or working somehow with/ as "MonoDefense".

And my recent and third "Lifetime" deal, 1 week ago, for 20 $, for "Fastest VPN" is my freshest baby in the house and still new and used as my OpenVPN setup in my ASUS RT-AX88U.

So i run all 5 OpenVPN Slots in my VPN Router, all 5 WireGuard Slots (1 Shellfire Slot, and 4 KeepSolid/ VPN Unlimited Slots), non of the remaining protocols slots. :)

I am sorry to say that but i am with a small pocket and if it comes to VPN subs i am preferring, paid services no free services, and provider with "Lifetime" subscriptions and "WireGuard".

How much should i have a focus on the VPN provider providing enhanced services of the VPN service?

Are those enhancements still available, effective and working and also useful, if the VPN connection is used in/ with VPN router?

I mean things like "Kill switches", "IP randomizing", "Tracker/ Malware and AdBlocking", "private DNS and DNS leak protection" etc. and whatever?
Or will those enhancements only work if you use the VPN Software from the provider on your "Windows" computer/ Laptop?!

What about that? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.