Best VPN service provider for use as Router-based Wireguard client

JTnola

Occasional Visitor
My router (RT-AC86U) runs asuswrt-Merlin, if that matters to anyone…

been a PIA person forever, but they don’t support router-based configurations for Wireguard, and the workarounds that I know of aren’t that enticing (requiring constant tweaks, etc., just to under-deliver)

it’s that time of the year again for me (VPN service renewal time), so I’m considering other options. Any thoughts on the best VPN service for use as a router-based Wireguard client?

Thank you!!

bertradio

Occasional Visitor
My router (RT-AC86U) runs asuswrt-Merlin, if that matters to anyone…

been a PIA person forever, but they don’t support router-based configurations for Wireguard, and the workarounds that I know of aren’t that enticing (requiring constant tweaks, etc., just to under-deliver)

it’s that time of the year again for me (VPN service renewal time), so I’m considering other options. Any thoughts on the best VPN service for use as a router-based Wireguard client?

Thank you!!
I use Mullvad on my AC86U and it performs flawlessly. I set it up on both VPN1 and VPN2 to two different Mullvad servers so if the connection to VPN1 goes down, the router shifts to VPN2. Works like a charm. Also since Mullvad is paid month to month you can try it out and if you don't like it find another solution.

Using VPNDirector, I use Mullvad on the router for my phones and various IOT devices. I use the Mullvad app on my desktop because it's more flexible (I can easily change servers and can run certain apps outside the VPN). You can find more info on the Mullvad site mullvad.net.

juanantonio

Occasional Visitor
I use AirVPN on my AX86U with no issues. They support both OpenVPN and Wireguard router clients through configuration files. Also they offer port forwarding between VPN public IP and your LAN devices private IP. They have also a three-day fee for only 2€ so you can try before deciding.

bertradio

Occasional Visitor
I use Mullvad on my AC86U and it performs flawlessly. I set it up on both VPN1 and VPN2 to two different Mullvad servers so if the connection to VPN1 goes down, the router shifts to VPN2. Works like a charm. Also since Mullvad is paid month to month you can try it out and if you don't like it find another solution.

Using VPNDirector, I use Mullvad on the router for my phones and various IOT devices. I use the Mullvad app on my desktop because it's more flexible (I can easily change servers and can run certain apps outside the VPN). You can find more info on the Mullvad site mullvad.net.

But Mullvad only supports OpenVPN on router, not Wireguard. Instructions here https://mullvad.net/en/help/asus-merlin-and-mullvad-vpn/

Last edited:

Mazz

New Around Here
I use Surfshark on a Asus AX88U Router, My internet is 450Mbps, when connected to wireguard i average 400-430Mbps down.