What's new

Best way to bring my internet to its knees or at least try?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
I have 1 Gbps so I know it won't be easy at least I don't think.

What would be the best way to do this ?

@ng4ever what client devices do you have on your network? How many users? Gamers? :)

With multiple 4K TVs (each with a full 4K subscription service), a NAS or two (and transferring/uploading multi-gig files) and a few teenagers with multiple devices each (and of course, needed to be all used at once by each one), a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical ISP connection can be easily shown to be less than adequate. :)

Assuming that your networking gear doesn't fall flat on its face at peak output, 125MB/s maximum shared throughput is not a lot, really. :)

And this is particularly so over WiFi, a shared medium, which is not a full-duplex medium by design. WiFi can only handle one request at a time, although the latest WiFi 6 routers can do that dance faster. :)

Last edited:
@ng4ever what client devices do you have on your network? How many users? Gamers? :)

With multiple 4K TVs (each with a full 4K subscription service), a NAS or two (and transferring/uploading multi-gig files) and a few teenagers with multiple devices each (and of course, needed to be all used at once by each one), a 1Gbps up/down symmetrical ISP connection can be easily shown to be less than adequate. :)

Assuming that your networking gear doesn't fall flat on its face at peak output, 125MB/s maximum shared throughput is not a lot, really. :)

And this is particularly so over WiFi, a shared medium, which is not a full-duplex medium by design. WiFi can only handle one request at a time, although the latest WiFi 6 routers can do that dance faster. :)

4 Alexia's echos, 3 rokus, 3 phones, 1 tablet, 1 smartplug, and 5 connected to ethernet cable computers.

3 which includes me.

I am a gamer but not as much as i use to be.

You need to invite some friends over and see what damage you can do. :)

I wish there was a test out there that simulated a really heavy load on a network locally and over the internet.

Oh well.

Don't forget network design and hardware. Some gear can handle a lot more load than other gear. I am thinking more on separate devices not all in one units but there can be differences there also. If you use multiple wireless APs they will handle more load than 1 unit providing you have the back haul bandwidth. A lot of the business class wireless APs will handle more active users than your average consumer wireless.

Two hard wired PCs with each running three Linux ISO downloads should easily saturate the download portion of the connection. I can usually get around 950Mbps'ish when doing this test.

Saturating the outbound is quite a bit more tricky/challenging. I don't know that I have ever come close to saturating my outbound ever...probably the best I have gotten for more than a few minutes is 200-300Mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!