What's new

Best way to improve my setup please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
So after moving into the new house a few years ago, due to laminate flooring, location of items and living I. A semi detached, running Ethernet wasn’t really a viable option unfortunately.

So here is a picture of my house (sorry I’m no architect). So PC is in the conservatory, router is in livingroom and tv/ Nvidia shield are at TV location.

I currently get about 65 meg BB into the house and I can get this on most of not all devices, however I’m struggling with playback of media from PC to shield. I am talking 45gb files.
Worked on on Both devices with Ethernet.

so I have a Asus 5300, 1GBPS home plugs but assume the electric isn’t great for carrying the data.

what is my best upgrade strategy? Going WiFi 6 and fitting a WiFi 6 pci to pc, or going Asusmesh and getting another node? Where would you put it? At pc?

trying to keep costs down where possible too. Thanks.

Can you compress the video files you are playing so streaming requires a lower bandwidth through the Homeplug devices ?

There are also flat ethernet cables that are not unattractive along a wall baseboard.

Can you compress the video files you are playing so streaming requires a lower bandwidth through the Homeplug devices ?

There are also flat ethernet cables that are not unattractive along a wall baseboard.
Thanks for the suggestion but that takes away the purpose of the bigger file.

use a small NAS behind the TV to stream from. Something like a Synology 218play model.

So after moving into the new house a few years ago, due to laminate flooring, location of items and living I. A semi detached, running Ethernet wasn’t really a viable option unfortunately.

So here is a picture of my house (sorry I’m no architect). So PC is in the conservatory, router is in livingroom and tv/ Nvidia shield are at TV location.

I currently get about 65 meg BB into the house and I can get this on most of not all devices, however I’m struggling with playback of media from PC to shield. I am talking 45gb files.
Worked on on Both devices with Ethernet.

so I have a Asus 5300, 1GBPS home plugs but assume the electric isn’t great for carrying the data.

what is my best upgrade strategy? Going WiFi 6 and fitting a WiFi 6 pci to pc, or going Asusmesh and getting another node? Where would you put it? At pc?

trying to keep costs down where possible too. Thanks.

What is the distance from router to TV and router to PC?

What is the construction/material of the center wall?

One solution could be to eliminate the TV powerline link and use a wireless router at the TV in wireless Media Bridge mode (AC68U) for wired clients only (the media center equipment). It helps if you have this old gear laying around collecting dust.

A second wireless AiMesh node might help if you could deploy it far enough from the other node (40-60 feet)... perhaps on the other side of the wall from the TV and then poke a cable through the wall.

OE

I did have that Asus router but sold it because it wasn’t AI mesh ‍♂️

I use my pc as the downloader/NAS. Tempted to move the pc but sometimes wife does school
Work (TA training to be a higher TA) then it would be on the tv. Then sometimes I’m on the pc and kids use it so think that’s out.

Does it cause a conflict having two mesh nodes in the same room?

What is the distance from router to TV and router to PC?

What is the construction/material of the center wall?

One solution could be to eliminate the TV powerline link and use a wireless router at the TV in wireless Media Bridge mode (AC68U) for wired clients only (the media center equipment). It helps if you have this old gear laying around collecting dust.

A second wireless AiMesh node might help if you could deploy it far enough from the other node (40-60 feet)... perhaps on the other side of the wall from the TV and then poke a cable through the wall.

OE
Distance from router to TV is approx 10ft. (9measured).

distance from pc to router is 28ft but has a 5inch and 7inch Walsall between them line of site.

Distance from router to TV is approx 10ft. (9measured).

distance from pc to router is 28ft but has a 5inch and 7inch Walsall between them line of site.

So not far. Adding a node would likely add WiFi you don't need. Too much WiFi is not helpful.

If you were to add a new router, you could use the old router as a media bridge at the TV.

The cheapest, simplest, and most effective solution would be to lay some Ethernet cable along the base of the walls and call it done.

If you doubt your powerline adapters, you could try better ones, if that's a thing.

OE

I did have that Asus router but sold it because it wasn’t AI mesh ‍♂️

I use my pc as the downloader/NAS. Tempted to move the pc but sometimes wife does school
Work (TA training to be a higher TA) then it would be on the tv. Then sometimes I’m on the pc and kids use it so think that’s out.

Does it cause a conflict having two mesh nodes in the same room?
"Tempted to move the pc but sometimes wife does school
"
i don't understand.
What is "it" in the above ?

"Tempted to move the pc but sometimes wife does school
"
i don't understand.
What is "it" in the above ?
It/ the pc, where all my media is.

So not far. Adding a node would likely add WiFi you don't need. Too much WiFi is not helpful.

If you were to add a new router, you could use the old router as a media bridge at the TV.

The cheapest, simplest, and most effective solution would be to lay some Ethernet cable along the base of the walls and call it done.

If you doubt your powerline adapters, you could try better ones, if that's a thing.

OE
Ethernet isn’t an option or I would have done it. 2 doorways and no real clean way to wire around.
I was doubting the adapters but I have just copied and pasted. 46gb file to the router HDD and tried to stream direct off router but still no joy (only tried on firestick upstairs).

Ethernet isn’t an option or I would have done it. 2 doorways and no real clean way to wire around.
I was doubting the adapters but I have just copied and pasted. 46gb file to the router HDD and tried to stream direct off router but still no joy (only tried on firestick upstairs).

So, you have a USB HDD on the router? If so, beware that USB 3.0 mode generates EMI that can affect/diminish 2.4 GHz WiFi.

You are adding new details to your issue, so now I'm unsure of what all needs to be solved.

Once we know all of the constraints and issues to be solved, we can decide how much money to spend to fix it all up! :)

OE

So, you have a USB HDD on the router? If so, beware that USB 3.0 mode generates EMI that can affect/diminish 2.4 GHz WiFi.

You are adding new details to your issue, so now I'm unsure of what all needs to be solved.

Once we know all of the constraints and issues to be solved, we can decide how much money to spend to fix it all up! :)

OE
That wasn’t really part of my issue, just another way of trying to get round it.

maybe I just have to live with it, in the previous house I was hard wired all round and everything was fine. I’ve just bought a new OLED TV so I want to watch the best files I can, and I’m just sulking because I can’t.

I’ve just bought a new OLED TV so I want to watch the best files I can, and I’m just sulking because I can’t.

You can, you just need to spend some money on fixing your network... first.

OE

@houghton19
OzarkEdge and degrub offered great advice.
NAS for storage/server and upgrading your current router, then using "old" as a media bridge for television. File conversion/compression will assist, since many devices can't play movie ISO, but can play mkv (or other commonly used formats). This is helpful, since a blu-ray ISO can be converted to an mkv file 1/2 the original size (approx).

Thanks for all of the replies, please dont think im being argumentative or not taking any of the other replies in. I am, but i think waiting and maybe settling for smaller files for now may be the answer.
I do actually stream most files from torrents using a debrid service. Obviously Tv shows are generally not a issue, and it only comes into play when trying to watch larger sized films. If i was to spend any money then i would be spending it to upgrade the network rather than a NAS, because as i say its only a few films. If that's the case i might as well send the data over to the connected hard drive on the shield and watch direct from there....... just obviously not as convenient as streaming it on the fly over the network.

That being said, like i mentioned earlier if i had to upgrade the network i would, but would rather put the money towards new equipment than a NAS as my pc has been used this way in the past, just not as much since moving into here and not having the ethernets.

so if we keep the topic on the actual networking side, what would be the best strategy? Buying a new wifi 6 setup...... Buying a Full mesh system and getting rid of the asus 5300 or buying possibly 2 older routers to turn into bridges, placing one at the pc and hard wire into pc and placing the other by the tv and connecting shield hard wired to router?
I'm guessing the mesh isn't a viable options with them all being so close as mentioned above?

thanks,

Just as a side note, Im hoping the village i live in is going to get FTTC soon (nodes popping up around and about) so hoping a 300/1000 meg service would sort it out so i could just stream everything from debrid.

WiFi 6 and AiMesh are largely marketing gimmicks that will not improve your situation. Listen to the advice above, these guys know their stuff. A little thought applied to the situation will be far more effective than just throwing more equipment at it.

Tim has a good article regarding WiFi 6E
After reading the article, AC86U
I recommend a quality NAS. The abilities of the consumer NAS are amazing.
Regarding your file playback, doesn't the Shield have a usb? Couldn't you place your files onto a connected usb drive, which could be used for Shield playback?

WiFi 6 and AiMesh are largely marketing gimmicks that will not improve your situation. Listen to the advice above, these guys know their stuff. A little thought applied to the situation will be far more effective than just throwing more equipment at it.
fantastic, thanks, if mesh/extra wont help ill just have to stick to the smaller file sizes or transfer to usb. for the little amount of films i watch i cant justify a NAS when i have a pc that can do it, just the pc is in the incorrect location. thanks all.