What's new

[Beta 380/Legacy] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70 Beta is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70 Beta is now available for all supported models.

(note: my ISP has been acting up all night, so the Onedrive mirror might take some time before it gets synchronized)

380.70 will be the last release on the Legacy branch. All models have now been migrated to the 384/NG code base, with the exception of the older MIPS-based models, the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U. Support for these two older models will be dropped. People wishing to continue to get security fixes and new features are urged to consider @john9527's fork (https://bit.ly/2EV5Oat , or see here on the forums for the details about his 374.43 LTS fork.) Users of the newer models are strongly urged to migrate to the new 384.xx releases. Keep in mind that in addition to new security issues that might eventually be discovered in the future, there is also the matter of the Trend Micro signatures that will eventually stop being updated by Asus, since Trend Micro has moved their focus to their new engine that is used by Asus in 382.xx/384.xx.

This release is mostly intended to tie up some loose ends, and resolve a few known security issues. This release does not cover every security issues recently fixed by Asus (namely, it will be missing the AiCloud fixes), as backporting these from 384 is more work than I'm willing to put into a deadend - switch to 384 if you want to really secure things.

The highlights of this release:

• Tightened security around some config files.
  • Samba protocol support can now be set to SMBv1, SMBv2, or SMBv1 + v2 (the new default). While SMBv2 will be a bit slower, it will be significantly more secure. People in need of better performance should consider investing in a real NAS instead.
  • Switched to the new combined Entware repo.
  • Fixed the Apply button on the OpenVPN Client page.
  • Fixed security issues in httpd (including among others CVE-2018-8879). Some fixes were backported from 380_8120, 380_8228, or the 384.xx code.
  • Fixed broken FAQ links (backports from 380_8120)

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Reserved post.

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70 Beta is now available for all supported models.

(note: my ISP has been acting up all night, so the Onedrive mirror might take some time before it gets synchronized)

380.70 will be the last release on the Legacy branch. All models have now been migrated to the 384/NG code base, with the exception of the older MIPS-based models, the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U. Support for these two older models will be dropped. People wishing to continue to get security fixes and new features are urged to consider @john9527's fork (https://bit.ly/2EV5Oat , or see here on the forums for the details about his 374.43 LTS fork.) Users of the newer models are strongly urged to migrate to the new 384.xx releases. Keep in mind that in addition to new security issues that might eventually be discovered in the future, there is also the matter of the Trend Micro signatures that will eventually stop being updated by Asus, since Trend Micro has moved their focus to their new engine that is used by Asus in 382.xx/384.xx.

This release is mostly intended to tie up some loose ends, and resolve a few known security issues. This release does not cover every security issues recently fixed by Asus (namely, it will be missing the AiCloud fixes), as backporting these from 384 is more work than I'm willing to put into a deadend - switch to 384 if you want to really secure things.

The highlights of this release:

• Tightened security around some config files.
  • Samba protocol support can now be set to SMBv1, SMBv2, or SMBv1 + v2 (the new default). While SMBv2 will be a bit slower, it will be significantly more secure. People in need of better performance should consider investing in a real NAS instead.
  • Switched to the new combined Entware repo.
  • Fixed the Apply button on the OpenVPN Client page.
  • Fixed security issues in httpd (including among others CVE-2018-8879). Some fixes were backported from 380_8120, 380_8228, or the 384.xx code.
  • Fixed broken FAQ links (backports from 380_8120)

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thanks for closing the loop on 380.x branch, from your highlights to Beta 1, is there other fixes, updates that you are currently working on that will be introduced for beta2?

Thanks for closing the loop on 380.x branch, from your highlights to Beta 1, is there other fixes, updates that you are currently working on that will be introduced for beta2?

Nothing planned so far, unless fixable issues are discovered during the beta period. I want this cycle to move quickly.

Flashed and working fine.
For the moment, I stay on the branch 380 (perfect for my needs), waiting for more comments on 384.5_A1

Last edited:
Updated Monday 4/2 and so far all is well on basic config router. Interesting not many others posting on/testing this firmware version. AC66 working great so no plan to dump it as of yet.

Interesting not many others posting on/testing this firmware version.

That's because every one has moved on to 384 code. 380 is dead. That's the bottom line. o_O

Why bother testing when it's the last and soon to be NO MORE ??

That's because every one has moved on to 384 code. 380 is dead. That's the bottom line. o_O

I generally never install betas, but I do intend to run this on my RT-AC88U until some of the issues with the 384 code base get ironed out. I'm a big fan of the stability of the current 380 code base, and so is everyone who connects through my router...

I generally never install betas, but I do intend to run this on my RT-AC88U until some of the issues with the 384 code base get ironed out. I'm a big fan of the stability of the current 380 code base, and so is everyone who connects through my router...

Certainly understood. :)

Also working fine for me.

Thus far, so good. Running in AP mode on an AC66. I didn't see a fix for NTP updates failing, so is it safe to assume that it will not be fixed before release of the final version of 380.70?

Tried 380.70 Beta 1 on my old AC66U as Media Bridge (a mode I never used before).

Seems to work fine!

Because no one using an AC66U has moved on since 384 code is not available on the AC66U. :) And the AC66U is still a decent router. So its worth updating to the last version Merlin will be pushing out IMO.

Upgraded RT-N66U without issue, will report back any problems I may come across.

Because there are people like me who don't need/want to get a router that looks like a tank and can serve as a NAS, Media Server and whatever else requires a multi-core ARM to handle the load. The N and AC66 are still very capable routers. I'm still on 380.67 (with no reboots since I installed it when it came out) and have been waiting for this final release to perform a long overdue update.

Because there are people like me who don't need/want to get a router that looks like a tank and can serve as a NAS, Media Server and whatever else requires a multi-core ARM to handle the load. The N and AC66 are still very capable routers. I'm still on 380.67 (with no reboots since I installed it when it came out) and have been waiting for this final release to perform a long overdue update.

I am in the same situation. Probably after 380.70 release I will stay with it until next major release (2.5) of OpenVPN, which means 1-2 years. I don't use Asus App, I don't open any ports to outside except OpenVPN, so I do believe that risk to be hacked from outside is minimized (practically excluded).

Thus far, so good. Running in AP mode on an AC66. I didn't see a fix for NTP updates failing, so is it safe to assume that it will not be fixed before release of the final version of 380.70?

Is the NTP issue related specific to your router model?

Despite it's a beta, seems like all .69_2 problems is fixed, OpenVPN Client page works correctly, no new bugs found yet on my AC66U.

Pretty sad to know that AC66U support is being dropped and .70 will be the last, but anyway sooner or later this moment has to come.
Thank you RMerlin for all awesome features you provided to us absolutely free, you made our home networks much better.

If I upgrade my router I'll continue to use your firmwares.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!