What's new

[Beta 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 382.2 Beta is now available. This releases adds two more models to the 382 code base, the RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U.

That release has been cancelled. 382.2 Beta 3 is the last release, made available for people still wanting to use it. Work has begun on 384.3.

Update Jan-1st-2018: Beta 2 has been uploaded. Changes since beta 1:

Code:
a6ed57e httpd: hardcode WAN interface as eth0 for Adaptive QoS upstream data gathering
11bb51f webui: reworked OpenVPN server client list display
d7969d7 firewall: don't drop ovpn traffic sent to wan along the rest of foreign outbound traffic
e46fde9 Bump version to beta 2

Highlights:

• Merge with GPL 382_18991, which adds IPSec VPN Server, IFTTT/Alexa and Let's Encrypt support. Note that all features are not available for all models, Asus hasn't enabled them for all yet.
  • Added RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U support.
  • Updated RT-AC86U components to GPL 382_18848. This also improves support for larger lists support for some specific settings such as DHCP static lieases.
  • Updated components: OpenSSL (1.0.2n), tor (0.2.9.14), nano (2.9.1), curl (7.57.0) and miniupnpd (Git snapshot from 20171212).
  • Increased limit of OpenVPN custom settings field from 170 to 510 characters on the RT-AC86U
  • OpenVPN firewall rules are now processed after the security rules such as Network Service Firewall rules.
  • Fixed httpd crashing if there were no Ethernet clients connected.
  • DNSFilter rules will no longer have priority over OpenVPN clients DNS exclusive mode.
  • And a couple of additional fixes - see the complete changelog for details.

Please keep discussions in this thread specific to this beta release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Known issues:

• Missing QoS stats on PPPoE connections (fixed in beta 2)
  • OVPN clients connecting through the router cannot use it as a WAN gateway (traffic blocked by firewall, fixed in beta 2)
  • AiCloud fails to start on RT-AC86U (fixed in beta 3)
  • Missing QoS stats on PPPoE for RT-AC86U (fixed in beta 3)

Last edited:
Thanks will try in a bit. Currently running the pre-Beta build.
Does 382 have AP side fixes for the Krack? Some of my devices will never receive security updates. :(

If not wrong, it is merged with the latest asus firmware with the krack fix. See git commit.

If not wrong, it is merged with the latest asus firmware with the krack fix. See git commit.

I've seen the changelog that says that it implements fixes, but I was under the impression that it's only fixes for when the router works in the wifi client mode or repeater.

Also, someone with Alexa should try to link it to the router to try one of those commands.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1033393/

I would try it myself, but I don't own one.

Thanks will try in a bit. Currently running the pre-Beta build.
Does 382 have AP side fixes for the Krack? Some of my devices will never receive security updates. :(

Routers running in AP mode are not vulnerable to KRACK. KRACK only targets devices acting as clients.

when rt-ac87u will be supported in asuswrt-merlin 382.2 beta

I don't know, Asus hasn't moved that model to 382 yet.

That's why I set up Openvpn in my router and whenever I use public hotspot i connect via my Openvpn or use mobile. Home network is still pretty safe compared to public network.

Routers running in AP mode are not vulnerable to KRACK. KRACK only targets devices acting as clients.

Wasn't there a AP fix that prevented its clients from using all zero encryption key or something like that ?

That's why I set up Openvpn in my router and whenever I use public hotspot i connect via my Openvpn or use mobile. Home network is still pretty safe compared to public network.

Its pretty safe if you live in your own home, but an apartment or condo with hundreds of potential exploiters in every direction. Not so much.

Cool! I'll try updating my 68U this weekend. Currently on 380.69. Looks like my router is getting a new firmware for the new year :)

Edit: One question: Is it recommended to reset the factory settings, since it's a different version number?

Wasn't there a AP fix that prevented its clients from using all zero encryption key or something like that ?

It's a hack which can also break compatibility with clients, and it only works for hardware platforms that are based on hostpad - Broadcom does not use that, so it's not available for any of these Asus routers.

It's a hack which can also break compatibility with clients, and it only works for hardware platforms that are based on hostpad - Broadcom does not use that, so it's not available for any of these Asus routers.

And, I take it, it would have to be implemented inside the Broadcom binary blob?

Are there any major change between this beta and Alpha 2 for the rt68u? It looks like the same change log.

And, I take it, it would have to be implemented inside the Broadcom binary blob?

Assuming their code could allow such a hack, and also that Broadcom would be willing to implement a hack. Even OpenWRT keeps it disabled by default due to the issues it can create.

Are there any major change between this beta and Alpha 2 for the rt68u? It looks like the same change log.

I don't remember which Git snapshot was used for alpha 3, but yes, there are been changes. Check the Github commit log for the details - the Changelog file only contains the parts that are important to users coming from a previous stable release.

@RMerlin does this fix the slow down issue users were experiencing after a few hours with 382.1_2? It was on the rt3100.

No idea, as I've never experienced it.

Hey Merlin... isn't it 382_18881? At least that's the latest on the Asus site I could find for my model. Is it from a different model?

GPL 18991 was released for the RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC56U (got that one from Asus). That code is compatible with the binary blobs from 18881 for the RT-AC68U (as well as 18848 for the RT-AC86U), so the newer code was used globally for all of these models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!