What's new

[Beta] AB-Solution 3.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm no expert with these things. But I've seen IPv6 queries suddenly starting when one of the devices has it set to on.
Disabling it, and double checking that no device has v6 enabled and then shut down all devices and start them up again helps it.
I usually unplug my cable modem too, then plug it back in, next is the primary router and so forth.
This always makes the v6 queries go away.
I'll go ask Merlin in that thread, and see if anyone knows. Thank you for the reply and ab-solution.

AB-Solution 3.9.3.2 beta is now available
Use cu to update.

What's new in 3.9.3.2 beta
- rs Router stats are now compiled faster, about 15% what I measured.
This is done by copying and stripping the blacklist.txt, whitelist.txt and the blocking file to the /tmp directory while processing.
Let me know if /tmp runs out of memory. This may be the case with a very, very large blocking file.

- el Pretty colors for the listing of the black and whitelist
- el Entries in the black and whitelist can now be set to inactive/active
Inactive domains are not whitelisted or blocked and are not copied over to the /jffs/shared-AB-whitelist
When running the "4. Sort and verify ...list.txt" function, the inactive domains are sorted as well and listed at the bottom of the list.
When removing an inactive domain in the whitelist, it is NOT added back to the blocking file.

- el Domains can now be added even if it's not necessary to add them.
For example, if you want to add domain.com to the whitelist and domain.com is not found in the blocking file, you can now add it anyway.
These "forced" additions are marked as #(forced-entry) in both the black and whitelist.
When removing a domain marked as #(forced-entry) in the whitelist, it is NOT added back to the blocking file.
Active forced entries in the whitelist are added to the shared-AB-whitelist.
The #(forced-entry) mark is also a reminder that it was added without the need at that time.

Screenshot el edit a (fake) whitelist.txt
Red domains are set inactive, with the mark #! at the beginning of the line

6F0IoRe.png

Screenshot el edit a (fake) blacklist.txt

voL6YzX.png

Last edited:
Getting many pixelserv errors and loading or unloading AB-Solution takes over 30 seconds, often with the "errors found press 22 and Enter". I did try the test8b of pixelserv but have reverted to release version instead of beta. Even then I needed to delete the switch I added -l1 and -l2 both caused pixelserv to not start, removing that switch solved it.

Now I am trying to revert to ABS release from beta 3.9.3.2 and getting this (download failed and reinstating lines are in red):
Code:
Do you want to download all AB-Solution files
 from the standard release channel?

Download all files? [1=Yes 2=No] 1

getting update-hosts.add from
 ab-solution.dev/releases/addon/3.9
 download failed: not an addon file
 reinstated existing update-hosts.add

getting rotate-logs.add from
 reinstated existing rotate-logs.add

getting functions.add from
 reinstated existing functions.add

getting log-stats.add from
 reinstated existing log-stats.add

getting pixelserv-tls.add from
 reinstated existing pixelserv-tls.add

getting ab-solution.sh from
 ab-solution.dev/releases/latest
 reinstated existing ab-solution.sh

At the main menu I have this:
Code:
downloaded file is not ab-solution.sh.
 Run [cu] again.

I get this info:
Code:
getting version info from ab-solution.dev...
then
Code:
 Error:  Received incomplete version info file from
 ab-solution.dev

Once I exit ABS and restart then it all runs find, but I'm still on beta,

I did try the test8b of pixelserv but have reverted to release version instead of beta. Even then I needed to delete the switch I added -l1 and -l2 both caused pixelserv to not start, removing that switch solved it.
Works fine here with the test8b. Just make sure you only add one -l switch, like -l 2 for increased logging.
It's a two step entry in AB, so -l2 will NOT work, even if added to the pixelserv start script. Correct is -l 2.
Apart from that, nothing has changed how I handle pixelserv or Entware packages. Any errors you have are caused by something else, not AB.

The cause of your failed downloads is an error of mine.
You reset the download URL to standard with "2. Reset to standard URL" which incorrectly set my local development domain:
Code:
 getting update-hosts.add from
 reinstated existing update-hosts.add
Sorry about that, the relevant code has been re-uploaded to the beta location.
The easiest way to get out of it is to enter the beta function and again set the beta URL to
Code:
ab-solution.info/beta
Then run 1233 to download all files again.
Once you've done that, you can reset to standard URL if you still want to. But again, the beta files have seen no change at all in the pixelserv code area.

Last edited:
I made a little mistake in the 3.9.3.2 beta functions.add file.
If you reset the beta URL back to standard URL, it will try to download from my non-public development server ab-solution.dev.
If you have already updated to 3.9.3.2 beta, run 1233 to download the corrected file. This is not necessary if you still run 3.9.3.1 beta.

Works fine here with the test8b. Just make sure you only add one -l switch, like -l 2 for increased logging.
It's a two step entry in AB, so -l2 will NOT work, even if added to the pixelserv start script. Correct is -l 2.
Apart from that, nothing has changed how I handle pixelserv or Entware packages. Any errors you have are caused by something else, not AB.

The cause of your failed downloads is an error of mine.
I did not mean to imply that it is / was AB-Solution causing the errors I saw. I had been on this beta since you announced it and then upgraded to 3.9.3.2 at the same time that I installed the pixelserv test-8b version, knowing that is risky. (I've beta tested many firmware items through the years starting back in the DOS/DESQview and IBM OS2).

I just wanted to remove both beta versions to start clean, and see if I still got the errors, because I never did before and had made no real changes in the last week. I've had the pixelserv logging on for a long time, even when you moved it from the main menu to the ps menu, with no issues. This time ps would not start until I removed the -l switch. I'll come back to the beta after more testing and observation.

Here is a portion of the log, is that helps.
Code:
Nov 19 12:57:05 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from .
Nov 19 12:57:43 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:58:27 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:59:09 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:59:51 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:00:48 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:03:36 mtn_dance: Failed to start pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:04:32 mtn_dance: Failed to start pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kk compiled: Sep 25 2017 19:44:15 options: 192.168.1.2
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: Listening on :192.168.1.2:80
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: Listening on :192.168.1.2:443
Nov 19 13:05:22 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.

And thank you for fix and the instructions to get from beta to release version.
Code:
 Done  AB-Solution updated from 3.9.3.2 --> 3.9.2

I did not mean to imply that it is / was AB-Solution causing the errors I saw. I had been on this beta since you announced it and then upgraded to 3.9.3.2 at the same time that I installed the pixelserv test-8b version, knowing that is risky. (I've beta tested many firmware items through the years starting back in the DOS/DESQview and IBM OS2).

I just wanted to remove both beta versions to start clean, and see if I still got the errors, because I never did before and had made no real changes in the last week. I've had the pixelserv logging on for a long time, even when you moved it from the main menu to the ps menu, with no issues. This time ps would not start until I removed the -l switch. I'll come back to the beta after more testing and observation.

Here is a portion of the log, is that helps.
Code:
Nov 19 12:57:05 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from .
Nov 19 12:57:43 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:58:27 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:59:09 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 12:59:51 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:00:48 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:03:36 mtn_dance: Failed to start pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:04:32 mtn_dance: Failed to start pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kk compiled: Sep 25 2017 19:44:15 options: 192.168.1.2
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: Listening on :192.168.1.2:80
Nov 19 13:05:22 pixelserv[17969]: Listening on :192.168.1.2:443
Nov 19 13:05:22 mtn_dance: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/CruzerExt2/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.

And thank you for fix and the instructions to get from beta to release version.
Code:
 Done  AB-Solution updated from 3.9.3.2 --> 3.9.2
One thing is of importance: pixelserv version Kk does not understand -l loglevel. Only -l. Kl beta added the log levels 1-5.
So, if you run Kk and still have the switches set to -l 2, then it will fail to start.
And also important: Kl will fail if only -l is set, with no loglevel.
Which reminds me that I may have to check the ps version. Damn!

One thing is of importance: pixelserv version Kk does not understand -l loglevel. Only -l. Kl beta added the log levels 1-5.
So, if you run Kk and still have the switches set to -l 2, then it will fail to start.
Which reminds me that I may have to check the ps version. Damn!

Ah ha! That explains it. I was just testing again, and was just coming here to post. I did know that part of the syntax change in ps since I do not follow it as closely (that will change now), and I was just reading your instructions in the script, knowing enough to make a choice that I should not have made. :rolleyes: I can see why checking the ps version is a good idea, since your script make it easy for users like me to make choices we should not!

Code:
---------------------------------------------------
 These switches are in use (none if none listed):
 1: -l 2
 ---------------------------------------------------

1. Add switch
 2. Remove switch
 3. Commit and restart pixelserv-tls

Select what to do [1-3 e=Exit] 3

writing the pixelserv-tls startup script
 restarting pixelserv-tls to apply changes
 Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)...              done.

pixelserv-tls failed to start, check switches

Last edited:
I can see why checking the ps version is a good idea, since your script make it easy for users like me to make choices we should not!
AB-Solution was created to make choices easy. But as you can see, even a lonely coder comes to his limits or forgets a tiny detail. We'll see what qvic has to say about my proposal.

AB-Solution was created to make choices easy. But as you can see, even a lonely coder comes to his limits or forgets a tiny detail. We'll see what qvic has to say about my proposal.

Yes, and that is why so many of us use it!
So my entire issue with ps errors that started this is as you stated above:

thelonelycoder said:

I had the ps -l switch in ABS prior to beta with ps Kk, upgraded ABS to beta, then decided to install the ps Kl-test8b, and that is when things went sideways. My troubleshooting could not find the reason. Thank you for clearing that up. Now I have both beta versions running cleanly with no glitches.

Last edited:
This is a helpful comment on @kvic s https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls/ page:
Supported browsers for HTTPS connections
  • Android >= 4.4.2; Chrome >= 51; Firefox >= 49
  • IE 11 Win 10; Edge >= 13; Safari >= 9; Apple ATS 9 iOS 9
  • IE 11 Win 7,8.1; IE 11 Winphone 8.1; Opera >= 17; Safar 7 iOS 7.1

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the new disable/enable and sort functions in el?

Meanwhile, I tested the copying of the blocking file to /tmp during stats generation on my older Mips routers with a slow USB keys. It was not very helpful. The stripping and copying from USB to /tmp took more time then it saved from the smaller file size and the faster access. /tmp is usually much faster then a USB device and I was hoping this would be a general improvement. But I decided to kick that feature, it will not make it into the release.
But the white and blacklist are still copied over since I have to strip the inactive domains and comments from it for the stats creation anyway.
It was nice to see the time drop on my faster ARM routers but generally the stats are created at a time when the router is not busy.
It was worth a try.

Has anyone tested the new disable/enable and sort functions in el?

Meanwhile, I tested the copying of the blocking file to /tmp during stats generation on my older Mips routers with a slow USB keys. It was not very helpful. The stripping and copying from USB to /tmp took more time then it saved from the smaller file size and the faster access. /tmp is usually much faster then a USB device and I was hoping this would be a general improvement. But I decided to kick that feature, it will not make it into the release.
But the white and blacklist are still copied over since I have to strip the inactive domains and comments from it for the stats creation anyway.
It was nice to see the time drop on my faster ARM routers but generally the stats are created at a time when the router is not busy.
It was worth a try.
I test the enable / disable just to see, and it works fine. I have not used the sort function, since my whitelist is very short with only four more outside the default URLs, so not needed in my case.

My blacklist is very long - 380 entries, and agonizing to scroll through it. If you recall I watch bicycle races via grey market links since they are not broadcast here in the USA, and block all the clickbait and pop-ups. I have to say that ABS does and incredible job with that annoying site. Any chance you can add a way to pipe it when long? Like one would with "cat long_log.txt | more"?

I test the enable / disable just to see, and it works fine. I have not used the sort function, since my whitelist is very short with only four more outside the default URLs, so not needed in my case.

My blacklist is very long - 380 entries, and agonizing to scroll through it. If you recall I watch bicycle races via grey market links since they are not broadcast here in the USA, and block all the clickbait and pop-ups. I have to say that ABS does and incredible job with that annoying site. Any chance you can add a way to pipe it when long? Like one would with "cat long_log.txt | more"?
I see what you mean. Also, with the new shiny colors the output for long lists is maddeningly slow. I tested the blacklist with about the same amount of entries just to see how it copes.
I know of no other way to make the display faster with all the colors I add for the possible combinations.

I'll have to think about a feature with long lists to break them up. At the moment the line number feature would surely break if I would simply break it down into "show next 50" or so.
I use the line number to address a specific entry.

I see what you mean. Also, with the new shiny colors the output for long lists is maddeningly slow. I tested the blacklist with about the same amount of entries just to see how it copes.
I know of no other way to make the display faster with all the colors I add for the possible combinations.

I'll have to think about a feature with long lists to break them up. At the moment the line number feature would surely break if I would simply break it down into "show next 50" or so.
I use the line number to address a specific entry.
In regard to colors in the white/black lists, maybe leave no color on enabled entries and disabled ones colored? That might speed it up. For me, colors in the white/black lists does not matter, it is very useful in the "follow logfile" function.

For the longest time I used the (6) black and white in the "ct" color choices since it is easier for me to read everything. Most colored background with white text is hard for me to read. When you introduced the colors in "follow logfile" then I tested it and switched to one of the color options in "ct", that is how useful colors are there for me.

In regard to colors in the white/black lists, maybe leave no color on enabled entries and disabled ones colored? That might speed it up. For me, colors in the white/black lists does not matter, it is very useful in the "follow logfile" function.

For the longest time I used the (6) black and white in the "ct" color choices since it is easier for me to read everything. Most colored background with white text is hard for me to read. When you introduced the colors in "follow logfile" then I tested it and switched to one of the color options in "ct", that is how useful colors are there for me.
I rather like the new colored output of the lists, it helps a lot with reading what's important.
I doubt that many users have lists with more than 30-50 entries in it. With that size, the listing is fast enough to not be a nuisance.

How many lines should such a "Hit [Enter] for next <number> lines" be?
Seems a worthwhile addition and looks very professional here...

30 looks about right, right?

How many lines should such a "Hit [Enter] for next <number> lines" be?
Seems a worthwhile addition and looks very professional here...

30 looks about right, right?
That sounds good. My term is 49 lines high, somewhere around 30 - 40 would work for most, but 30 should work for everyone I'd guess. Wondering out loud what a 30 line pause in a 49 line term would look like........ (shrug)

Wondering out loud what a 30 line pause in a 49 line term would look like........ (shrug)
I can help you with that. You can now select the output with or w/o colors:

CtPf5Na.png

C1aTX9T.png

AB-Solution 3.9.3.3 beta is now available
Use cu to update.

What's new in 3.9.3.3 beta
- rs Removed copying the blocking file to /tmp, only white and blacklist are copied over. Testing has shown this may not be beneficial for all.

- ps Removed switches, they would break the AB-Solution system checks.
-s stats_html_URL (default: /servstats)
-t stats_txt_URL (default: /servstats.txt)
-z has previously been removed for the same reason.
(-z path_to_certs (default: /opt/var/cache/pixelserv))
Explanation is given if these are selected anyway.

- ps Purging generated certificates now restarts pixelserv-tls after.

- The AB UI now shows the pixelserv-tls version in use. The version is rechecked everytime the ps menu is opened (hence a small delay there) and when certain operations are done in that menu.

- Changed how I handle the standard install URL for AB-Solution. The mistake of having my local development server in a released version made me change it to a fool-proof (!) way.

- el New pagination option, page lengths can be set between 20 and 35 lines per page, default is 20.

- el New option to enable/disable colors in list, default is enabled.

And pictures, I like them. This is the new on/off list colors and pagination setting:

HeeaQbD.png

The new pagination. At any time the list options can be shown to act on the domains. The list options are shown automatically if the end of the file is reached.

j1q5xnW.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!