What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62 Beta is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62 Beta is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was on bug fixing and webui tweaks.

No factory default reset is required if coming from a recent release. There has been no change to the GPL, and no change to the wireless drivers either (before someone asks).

The highlight of what was changed since 380.61:

• Added the nano editor to the firmware. This is a more user-friendly text editor than vi, making it much easier for people to write custom config files and user scripts. Just type "nano file-to-edit" to edit a file. You can find the online manual at https://www.nano-editor.org/docs.php . ARM routers also have the built-in help included, which can be accessed by pressing Ctrl-G. Note that some features were disabled for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U, to reduce the amount of space used by it.
  • Updates to OpenVPN (2.3.12), nettle (3.2 - used for dnssec crypto) and minidlna (1.1.6).
  • Passwords are no longer shown by default on the PPTPD/OpenVPN server pages (there's a checkbox to reveal them). Also, the WPA key will be hidden on the Wireless configuration page, unless you click inside the WPA field to edit it.
  • The Wireless Log page was redesigned, allowing to fit the client's IPv6 address in there (if they have one), and displaying longer hostnames.
  • Numerous resource leaks were fixed in the networkmap service, as well as a few potential buffer overruns.
  • Fixed data corruption when configuring an OpenVPN/PPTPD user or password longer than 32 characters
  • Fixed broken IPv6 on MIPS routers if you enabled SSH's brute force protection. Also fixed IPv6 lease renewal with some ISPs with broken DHCP implementations.
  • You can tell the router not to issue a prefix RELEASE command at shutdown time for IPv6 (required by some ISPs to ensure you retain your delegated prefix after a reboot)
  • Fixed modifying Smart Connect configuration on dual band routers, such as the RT-AC88U.
  • Added support for providing a vendor class ID on the WAN DHCP configuration (required for some ISPs)
  • Many additional fixes - see the changelog for details
  • On the RT-AC88U/AC3100/AC5300, the IPTraffic database was using the wrong filename, using "000000000000" in place of the actual MAC address. You will need to either rename your tomato_cstats_000000000000.gz database to the correct name (replacing the 0's by the router's MAC address, in lowercase), or generate a new database under Tools -> Other Settings.

Things that need particular attention while testing:

• See if the numerous fixes to networkmap also resolved issues that a few users were experiencing where their client list came up empty.
  • Ensure there's no new issue with the Wireless Log page, especially for IPv6 users
  • See if there's any change in behaviour with minidlna

Please focus your posts on this specific release, and always specify what router model you are using. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Reserved post.

I'm used to flashing phone firmware. What level of stability does this have coming from stock?

This is at a different level than Asus stock (hint; it's better, even as a Beta).

If the 'things that need particular attention' don't worry you in post 1, then consider it an upgrade over stock. :)

Just wanted to double check. I used to test ROMs and kernels on Androids and there's beta and then there's beta. I just got the router off recommendation and merlin was one of the things I was supposed to look for.

I'm getting a message about it not being compatible under current blah, blah, blah. Is there something I need to do first?

Update: Google is my friend. I need a factory reset.

Stuck it on my RT-AC68U. All seems fine thus far. I have Wireless turned off and most of the stuff you mention I don't use. If I notice anything will let you know.

I'm getting a message about it not being compatible under current blah, blah, blah. Is there something I need to do first?

What router model do you have and which file did you download?

RT-AC1900P

RT-AC3100_380.62_beta1-g7d0d688.trx

I got it here. This page may need to be fixed.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC1900/

Looks like the RT-AC1900 uses the RT-AC68U firmware: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Beta/

Ignore that latest version link at the top. It shows that for every model for some reason on that site. I usually download from mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin

Looks like the RT-AC1900 uses the RT-AC68U firmware: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Beta/

Ignore that latest version link at the top. It shows that for every model for some reason on that site. I usually download from mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin
I went to the mediafire link and found the text file, finally. I'm used to the main download being busy on release day for stuff and initially went to the second link which led me astray. Thank you for the help. Sorry for being in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Flashed. Thank You Merlin :)

1) First impression is everything looks OK (even older version 360.61 was OK).

2) In syslog appeared this WARNING message:
"Sep 15 10:30:17 openvpn [905]: x.xxx.x.xxx:5xxx1 WARNING: this cipher's block size is less than 128 bits (64 bits). Consider using a --cipher with a larger block size" .
What is it, I have to do something?
(In cryptography, a cipher is an algorithm for performing encryption or decryption) Where is the option to change cipher/algorithm?

3) "The redesigned Wireless Log page" I do not like so much.
It appears less functional, aesthetically ugly than previous one, especially if you have many connected devices.

EDIT1:
2) bis
I use "Encryption cipher" : Default

s.2016-09-15 12.08.44.jpg

EDIT2:
Solved:
- changing the router "Encryption cipher" from "Default" to "AES-128-CBC"
- deleting the old "client1.ovpn" on client devices
- re-exporting "Export OpenVPN configuration file"
- configuring, importing the new "client1.opn" on client devices

s.2016-09-15 12.39.17.jpg

Last edited:
RT-AC88U 380.62_beta1-g7d0d688

Network Tools > Wake on LAN breaks with client names containing an apostrophe. Specifically on line 24 of Main_WOL_Content.asp
HTML:
var wollist_array = '...';

I went to the mediafire link and found the text file, finally. I'm used to the main download being busy on release day for stuff and initially went to the second link which led me astray. Thank you for the help. Sorry for being in the wrong thread.

I use Mediafire for my primary host, which has plenty bandwidth - don't worry about the load.

The text file is also there on Sourceforge (it was on the link you posted).

Network Tools > Wake on LAN breaks with client names containing an apostrophe. Specifically on line 24 of Main_WOL_Content.asp

Names should never contain an apostrophe. You might need to clear up your wol list and re-create it.

2) In syslog appeared this WARNING message:
"Sep 15 10:30:17 openvpn [905]: x.xxx.x.xxx:5xxx1 WARNING: this cipher's block size is less than 128 bits (64 bits). Consider using a --cipher with a larger block size" .
What is it, I have to do something?

OpenVPN is going to deprecate support for ciphers < 128-bit. In 2.3.12, they just display a warning in syslog. Expect them to completely remove those ciphers in the future.

3) "The redesigned Wireless Log page" I do not like so much.
It appears less functional, aesthetically ugly than previous one, especially if you have many connected devices.

It's the only way I can fit an IPv6 on that page. There were too many fields on the old design, and none of them wide enough to support an IPv6 that can be up to 40 characters long.

I'm used to flashing phone firmware. What level of stability does this have coming from stock?

I tend to have a more conservative approach than most phone ROMs, so stability is typically on par with Asus's - fewer "experimental" features than in many phone ROMs.

I report that "Network Map" is updated only after about 10" and sometimes takes longer.
This happens either on the screen "client status" and also on the screen "View List".
In truth, this "problem" it's nothing new, it was also present in previous versions.

If i select Tools its safe or like 380.61 router go in crash and go in crash also if i write more of 4 ports on a single range on port-forwarding on RT-87U?

Thank
Hispa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!