What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working great here. Thank you @RMerlin !:)

It seems when I upgraded to 380.66 beta 1 today on my AC5300 it broke my OpenVPN server. Was working fine before. Anyone else having issues with OpenVPN server on this?

Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Options error: --up script fails with 'updown.sh': Permission denied
Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Options error: Please correct this error.
Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Use --help for more information.
Apr 26 12:22:39 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1524: Starting VPN instance failed...

In case this is an unrelated issue, I started my own thread to track this issue here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...itialize-since-upgrade-to-360-66-beta1.38791/

It seems when I upgraded to 380.66 beta 1 today on my AC5300 it broke my OpenVPN server. Was working fine before. Anyone else having issues with OpenVPN server on this?

Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Options error: --up script fails with 'updown.sh': Permission denied
Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Options error: Please correct this error.
Apr 26 12:22:39 openvpn[7114]: Use --help for more information.
Apr 26 12:22:39 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 1524: Starting VPN instance failed...

In case this is an unrelated issue, I started my own thread to track this issue here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...itialize-since-upgrade-to-360-66-beta1.38791/
Mine works with no issues. From the options error message, I suspect you have an option in the Custom Configuration section that it does not like. It may be deprecated? Look at the OpenVPN 2.4 manual to check: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn24ManPage

Mine works with no issues. From the options error message, I suspect you have an option in the Custom Configuration section that it does not like. It may be deprecated? Look at the OpenVPN 2.4 manual to check: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn24ManPage

Under advanced settings, I provided no custom config. I also clicked default on slot 1 and 2 to have a completely vanilla experience. However, issue remains.
My OpenVPN server worked yesterday (was running 380.65_4 I believe)

Under advanced settings, I provided no custom config. I also clicked default on slot 1 and 2 to have a completely vanilla experience. However, issue remains.
My OpenVPN server worked yesterday (was running 380.65_4 I believe)
Hmm. Here is a screen shot of a working openvpn server. Please compare the settings with yours. You must specify some compression from my testing.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-27_0-39-2.png
    upload_2017-4-27_0-39-2.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 366
Hmm. Here is a screen shot of a working openvpn server. Please compare the settings with yours. You must specify some compression from my testing.
Thanks very much for the screenshot.
I changed all my settings to match that perfectly, but still getting same error in the logs. This is happening whether I use default settings, or the settings you just provided me.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-26_13-54-36.png
    upload_2017-4-26_13-54-36.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 564
  • upload_2017-4-26_13-55-15.png
    upload_2017-4-26_13-55-15.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 622
Thanks very much for the screenshot.
I changed all my settings to match that perfectly, but still getting same error in the logs. This is happening whether I use default settings, or the settings you just provided me.

Another thought is this a permission error? I am blocked from posting what I want you to do though. Thank you automated security blocking ARgH.:mad:

Navigate to /etc directory and check permissions on openvpn. Here are mine
Code:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root             0 Apr 27 00:27 group.openvpn
drwx------    6 admin    root           160 Apr 27 00:27 openvpn
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root             0 Apr 27 00:27 passwd.openvpn
-rw-rw-rw-    1 admin    root             0 Apr 27 00:27 shadow.openvpn
Code:
admin@RT-AC88U:/tmp/etc/openvpn#
drwx------    6 admin    root           160 Apr 27 00:27 .
drwxr-xr-x    6 admin    root           820 Apr 26 10:42 ..
drwx------    2 admin    root           160 Apr 24 14:22 client1
drwxrwxrwx    2 admin    root            60 Apr 24 14:22 dns
drwx------    2 admin    root           100 Apr 27 00:27 fw
drwx------    2 admin    root           220 Apr 27 00:27 server1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            17 Apr 24 14:22 vpnclient1 -> /usr/sbin/openvpn
lrwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            17 Apr 27 00:27 vpnserver1 -> /usr/sbin/openvpn
EDIT: try googling the error message. I saw some chat about the error on openvpn forum and a few other sites https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=21193

Last edited:
First thing I would try is to re-download and re-load the firmware. All the openvpn scripts are setup automatically by the firmware.

Second thing is to check is that you haven't run out of space on tmpfs. Run the 'df' command and check what it says.

John9527: tmpfs says 0% use
Xentrk: I have all the same permissions. Though I seem to be missing some files that you had in the openvpn folder.
I seemed to be missing server1 file, and vpnserver1 file. Where is the updown.sh file? I can check its permissions too

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-26_14-29-36.png
    upload_2017-4-26_14-29-36.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 653
John9527: tmpfs says 0% use
Xentrk: I have all the same permissions. Though I seem to be missing some files that you had in the openvpn folder.
I seemed to be missing server1 file, and vpnserver1 file. Where is the updown.sh file? I can check its permissions too
I see the file in this directory: /tmp/etc/openvpn/client1/

But you are trying to start a server. I don't see the same file in the /tmp/etc/openvpn/server1/ directory. I would try to re-download and flash the firmware again like @john9527 recommended. Something not right here.

@p1r473 What was the previous level before you upgraded? I'm going to guess it was 380.64 or earlier.....

RT-AC56U
Upgrading from 380.65_2 to 380.66_beta1 broke adaptive QOS manual mode. Clicking "apply" does not do anything, meaning you cannot input and retain speed settings or activate adaptive QOS in manual mode. Tried both integer and floating point entries for upstream/downstream speed settings. Adaptive QOS automatic mode does seem to work.

Also, the router would go crazy when enabling Guest Network. My wireless devices keep disconnecting/reconnecting constantly to the router every few seconds and I must hard reset router if toggling the Guest Network on/off to get stable wifi. This happens on both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz band. FYI - I use the 2.4 GHz guest network band only.

Works fine here.

I have flashed this to a ac88u and the only strange thing I have seen so far is that ports 5,6,7,8 appears as down while devices are up and running.
Anyone with this router have seen the same?
Is there any way to check the port status in ssh?

Thanks!

Works for me. Make sure they are indeed connected to these ports and not 1-4.

A few minutes ago I lost IPv6 on my computer, however upon checking the router gui it stated that it still had it. I tried resetting my winsocks and when that didn't change things I rebooted the router. Once it finished my access was restored and traffic began flowing smoothly again. I'm really starting to wonder if my hardware is at fault here and I've already suggested to customer loyalty that this unit be replaced as its barely a month old.

It's not you based on your description.

I've been reporting and experiencing for nearly a year now problems with the RT-AC88U and IPv6. The computer suddenly loses the link local (fe80) Default Gateway address.

With your computer no longer able to find an IPv6 gateway to route traffic, the whole thing falls apart. I've just given up on it and cut off IPv6. Asus is not willing to troubleshoot the problem.

Last edited:
Works fine here.
Yes, my issue with constant wifi disconnect/reconnecting is not related to guest network. Issue occurs when I make changes to b/g protection setting requiring a hard reset from the physical button. I only bought the AC88u a few days ago. Factory reseted a couple times and same issue as well as reinstalling the firmware. Oh well hopefully future updates fixes it as everything else works fine, including openVPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!