What's new

Better coverage for 5 ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joasjoas

New Around Here
I am looking for a router that gives me the best coverage for 5hz, I have a thick wall and the router I have does not reach the room at 5hz.

I use it for streaming full hd and 4k and netflix.
I have seen the linksys wrt1900acs (according to Leo has good coverage) ac68u??.
Any recommendations to look at?
I have 300mb fiber.
I need triple vlan

2.4ghz is better for range & obstacle penetration. 2.4ghz is slower than 5ghz but Netflix 4k only requires 25mbit so 2.4ghz should be capable of multiple, simultaneous streams.

Depending on how thick/dense the wall is and what material it is, 5GHz may just not work well through it no matter what kind of router/AP you use. You also must remember that even if you get a high power router/AP that can make it through the wall to your client, your client still has to be able to transmit a signal back.

I agree with the previous response that 2.4GHz may be the better option to get through the wall. Unless you have lots of interference on the 2.4GHz radio, it should be more than enough to handle what you have asked for.

Is there coax in there? You could use a MoCA solution, either as a direct connection to your smart device or to bridge an access point.

AC 5GHz wide CHs improve throughput only when full channel bandwidth is free from interfering transmissions.

I am looking for a router that gives me the best coverage for 5hz, I have a thick wall and the router I have does not reach the room at 5hz.
There is no magic want for wider 5 GHz range: Physics prevent the higher frequencies to go thru wall as good as the lower ones... :rolleyes:

But: 5 GHz allow higher transmission rates (depending of the regional regulations) to overcome the physical issue - but the vendors are locking down their routers to a minimum transmission power to meet the minimal regulation settings! :oops:

But 2: The devices need to send back to the router also with higher transmission power to reach it... Most of the devices are not able to do so! :confused:

There are only three solutions for better 5 GHz range:
a) a router with older or new "tweaked" (much better!) firmware - needs a special router with no guarantee for success,
b) use a power line extender to have a 5 GHz network in the rooms you need - solves the issue but needs additional hardware per room as the extenders have no great transmission power,
c) if you have network cabling in all rooms then you can add an additional wireless Access Point at the right place (=my solutions - see footer).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!