What's new

Better WLAN->WLAN throughput using different bands?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dogday

New Around Here
Hi!

My DIR-825 died, which kind of sparked my waning interest in routers... I'm now waiting for an Asus RT-N56U to be delivered, but while I was reading up on it, I began thinking if using separate bands helps throughput (I'm currently on a single band Airport Express so I cannot try this).

That is:

If i have two computers, both connected to the soon arriving N56U (set to strict N mode, not mixed), will transfer speeds BETWEEN them improve if computer A uses the 2.4 and computer B the 5 Ghz band, rather than both using the 5 Ghz band?

I guess there are a few factors you have weigh in, but let's say they're both really close to the router, and there's not much interference otherwise on either band...

My common sense assumption is "yes", (a two-lane street should handle traffic much better than a one-lane street, even if the speed limit is a litte lower in the "2.4 lane") but common sense isn't always right... I tried googling this as it feels like a common question, but had no luck.

Last edited:
yes. But you could do the same with only 2.4GHz by adding an access point to a wifi router. use different channel numbers, at least 3 apart. And PC wouldn't need a new 5z wifi adapter.