What's new

BGP Router Connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TeekieAS

New Around Here
Hello. I am new to networking, and i am getting assigned an ASN. I've also ordered a business router that supports BGP, and renting couple IPv4's. I am wondering how the BGP routers are connected to the "world" so that i can peer with other AS networks and internet exchanges. So in theory what i am wondering about is how i physically connect the router so that it has connectivity with other peers and exchanges. Do i need to have direct wired connection from an internet exchange to connect into the router, or is it enough to just connect the router to my current ISP network to ble able to peer other ASN/BGP systems, by that i mean the cables of a normal ISP company that already are connected to the internet. I'm not sure if i can use my ISP network to direct peer/connect to different exchanges and peers.

Hello. I am new to networking, and i am getting assigned an ASN. I've also ordered a business router that supports BGP, and renting couple IPv4's. I am wondering how the BGP routers are connected to the "world" so that i can peer with other AS networks and internet exchanges. So in theory what i am wondering about is how i physically connect the router so that it has connectivity with other peers and exchanges. Do i need to have direct wired connection from an internet exchange to connect into the router, or is it enough to just connect the router to my current ISP network to ble able to peer other ASN/BGP systems, by that i mean the cables of a normal ISP company that already are connected to the internet. I'm not sure if i can use my ISP network to direct peer/connect to different exchanges and peers.

You will peer with your ISP. They will peer with their gateways, those gateways peer with their gateways, etc. You do not peer with the entire world directly.

Unless you're planning on getting a very expensive high end enterprise router, you are going to want your ISP to advertise you a default route only, not the entire internet routing table.

Note that this sort of ISP internet connection is not going to be available to home users in most cases, unless you have them declare your home a commercial address and run dedicated wiring to it (not cheap).

In order for them to accept the routes you're renting, they will need to be properly sub-delegated to you in ARIN (or your local authority if not Americas).

BGP peering with your ISP and advertising them native routes is only available on commercial internet connections - expect several hundred to several thousand dollars per month depending how much bandwidth you need, plus the installation fees if your premises isn't already lit with commercial equipment. And since BGP peering is only needed when you have more than 1 internet connection, multiply that by at least 2.

You saying you're new to networking and then saying you've rented a couple IPv4s and are getting an ASN assigned seems counterintuitive. What exactly are you trying to do here? Why is a simple static IP assignment from your ISP not enough?