What's new

Solved Big drop in connection speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Something strange has started happening with my Internet connection speeds. I'm using an RT-AX86U and I've tested the speeds on my two Windows 10 laptops, an Huawei Notepad Lite and a Galaxy A3 mobile phone. I'm on the Plusnet FTTC unlimited data service. I've tried disabling QoS while carrying out my tests, just in case that was having any influence. Apart from my devices, there isn't much other network activity at this time of morning.
The mobile phone and Huawei Notepad (both Android devices) are still showing my normal speeds, i.e., around 59 download and 15 upload. I've tested the Windows laptops on Wi-Fi and also via Ethernet. The download speeds on Ethernet have dropped quite significantly...
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 10_32_04.jpg

But on Wi-Fi, it's even worse...
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 10_29_44.jpg

I've tried turning off AX mode as well and playing around with channels, checking network adapter drivers, etc, but nothing has made any difference (I didn't think it would because the fact that the Ethernet connection is much slower, especially on upload, suggests that the cause lies elsewhere.

Can anyone advise me how to troubleshoot this further?

I've just used Macrium Reflect to restore one of my laptops back to exactly how it was on 29th July and the problem with the Internet speeds is evident when I run a test on that configuration now, but didn't exist in late July, as you can see by some tests I made at that time...
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 13_03_46.jpg

This seems to be suggesting to me that it's something to do with the router when connecting Windows 10 devices. One other thing, I have tried two different AV products and even no third-party AV product, but the result is the same. Would it be worth trying my old Openreach modem, instead of the DrayTek modem I'm using now, or would that be a waste of time (I can't see how that would make a difference as surely the Android devices would also be affected if the modem was playing up)?

I'll check my daughter's Windows 10 laptop when she wakes up to see what speeds I get on that machine.

I've just tried connecting direct to my DrayTek modem, but I can't pick up an Internet conenction that way, so I've tethered my Samsung mobile to my laptop and run another speed test, the upload being much better than the one using my RT-AX86U (see below). Does that prove that it's not the computers that are the problem, but something else?
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 16_04_23.jpg

I've just tried a speed test on my daughter's laptop and she's getting between 2 and 3 Mbps upload speed, so essentially the same as the other Windows laptops. My son also tried a test on one of his Apple devices and that gave him an upload speed of around 14-15 Mbps, thus confirming that this only seems to be affecting Windows devices.
I've also just tried swapping the DrayTek 130 modem for the original BT Openreach modem, but that gave even worse speeds on my Windows 10 laptop than when using the DrayTek modem.
The only thing I can now think to try is completely resetting the router to see if that provides a fix. If not, then I'm at a loss what else I could try.

Last edited:
Well it's taken me all day, but I've finally found the culprit. It's AiProtection - as soon as I turned it off, my Internet speeds returned to normal. On turning it back on, the problem returned. I've tried it several times, even after a full factory reset and the same thing happens. You can see the result in the screenshots below...
DOWNLOAD HISTORY (Left Graph) UPLOAD HISTORY (Right Graph)
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 19_32_09.jpg
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 19_32_30.jpg

DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD SNAPSHOT (AiProtection Disabled)
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 19_27_10.jpg

DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD SNAPSHOT (AiProtection Enabled)
Screenshot - 30_08_2020 , 19_31_45.jpg

Just a quickie - could I ask a few users of Merlin firmware if you are having any problems with AiProtection interfering with your Internet download/upload speeds?

The reason I ask is, I have been struggling all day to find out why my Internet speeds on Windows 10 devices have dropped so dramatically (especially the upload speeds which are less than a quarter of what I normally get). I tested everything I could think of on my new RT-AX86U, including using non-Windows devices/the original BT Openreach modem, performing a full factory reset, etc and eventually I discovered the that the culprit is AiProtection (you can see the full details of what I have been doing today in the AX router section of this forum if you want further details).
If AiProtection is currently working as normal with Merlin firmware or even stock firmware on routers other than the RT-AX86U, then I think I shall be asking for a refund as this is the second major bug that I have had with this router in less than 3 weeks.

After working all day on this problem, (see my other thread below), I have finally discovered that AiProtection is dramatically interfering with my Internet speeds, but oddly, only on Windows 10 devices. Could I therefore ask anyone who has recently purchased an RT-AX86U to see if they are experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 devices?

I stopped using anything that required accepting the TM privacy agreement. On my routers, AiProtection causes kernel crashes. Everyone says it normal and nothing to worry about, I choose not to use any of those services.

Pretty consistent results for me with it on or off on Windows 10 (2004) client. Tried wireless and wired too with no change. Same ISP and a Draytek Vigor 130 as a modem.
I separate 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs if it makes a difference
Changed 5GHz channel bandwidth to 80+160, AX is on on both bands, but apart from that I'm on pretty much vanilla settings.

You might want to stop creating duplicate threads btw - it's kind of frowned upon on any forum I've ever used...

1598823408064.png

Last edited:
After working all day on this problem, (see my other thread below), I have finally discovered that AiProtection is dramatically interfering with my Internet speeds, but oddly, only on Windows 10 devices. Could I therefore ask anyone who has recently purchased an RT-AX86U to see if they are experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 devices?
You’ve posted this in several places, gonna ask here; are you limiting bandwidth to those clients in a guest network or something similar. Don’t recall seeing yiu post what band they are connecting to either, 2.4 or 5?

I use AiProtection on my router. I like having the protection there if and when needed. Having the AiProtection active gives me that little bit of needed assistance knowing my Family is a bit safer on the web.
I worry more about the apps and sites my children use, when on their iPhones/iPads/Laptops.

Edit: I haven't experienced any issues with my router having AI active.

Last edited:
I also only use 5ghz band in 80herz channel, the rest are all on cat7 ethernet. My work laptop cpu actually cannot keep up 600mbps connection, it saturates the dual core skylake. Only my 4 core and above windows can max out speedtest.net but I've never seen ai protection effect them

Just a quickie - could I ask a few users of Merlin firmware if you are having any problems with AiProtection interfering with your Internet download/upload speeds?

The reason I ask is, I have been struggling all day to find out why my Internet speeds on Windows 10 devices have dropped so dramatically (especially the upload speeds which are less than a quarter of what I normally get). I tested everything I could think of on my new RT-AX86U, including using non-Windows devices/the original BT Openreach modem, performing a full factory reset, etc and eventually I discovered the that the culprit is AiProtection (you can see the full details of what I have been doing today in the AX router section of this forum if you want further details).
If AiProtection is currently working as normal with Merlin firmware or even stock firmware on routers other than the RT-AX86U, then I think I shall be asking for a refund as this is the second major bug that I have had with this router in less than 3 weeks.
You mentioned speeds dropped dramatically. From where to where?

I am using AiProtection without any problems or speed impact on an RT-AX88U and 100Mbit/s up & down.

You’ve posted this in several places, gonna ask here; are you limiting bandwidth to those clients in a guest network or something similar. Don’t recall seeing yiu post what band they are connecting to either, 2.4 or 5?
I'm not limiting anything and the affected computers are all on the 5GHz band, but it doesn't make any difference if I connect them to the 2.4GHz band. The only way I can restore the data transfer speeds is to disable AiProtection.

This thread can be closed now - I'm sending the RT-AX86U back and I've ordered an RT-AX88U to replace it (at least I can put Merlin firmware on that).

You mentioned speeds dropped dramatically. From where to where?

I am using AiProtection without any problems or speed impact on an RT-AX88U and 100Mbit/s up & down.
I've never had a problem in this respect with Merlin firmware, so I've decided to return the RT-AX86U and I've ordered an RT-AX88U to replace it, which is due to be delivered tomorrow. So it's bye bye ASUS firmware and back to Merlin firmware for me.

This thread can now be closed as I now have a resolution for the issue I raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!