What's new

Block certain games/sites by schedule?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Duc

Occasional Visitor
Is it possible to block certain games (league of legends, Minecraft) and YouTube at certain time of the day with the Asus RTn66u router? I know I can block all internet at certain time for specific client but I want the kids to be able to use the internet for homework but only get to play games on the weekends.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

First, let me thank you for asking this question. I have a RT-N66U, so when you asked if it was possible, I went to go check how it could be done through parental controls, which made me realize parental controls were enabled on my router, which explains some issues I been having with Chromecast. Thanks!

As for parental control, it seems they can only block internet all together, not just certain traffic. To do that, you need to use a Network Service Filter. See emulator below where to add the filter and FAQ for general instructions. The issue is knowing what ports to block. For LoL, you could block UDP 5000-5500, but that would still allow them spectate and chat. Minecraft is different because it can use UPnP to connect to other servers. You could block port 25565 to stop them from running a Minecraft server, but that wouldn't stop them from connecting to someone's server or playing locally. If the problem is something like a child using the internet for LoL instead of homework, then there really isn't a perfect solution. Any technical solution you come up with can be gotten around by a smart enough kid. I know, I used to be one. XD

https://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_Firewall_Content.html

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013636

Reactions: Duc
Thanks. I am curious how the Disney filter device does it though.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I used the free version of OpenDNS to manage games etc. I used it effectively for several years till I was satisfied the kids could self manage. Also using parental controls to cut the Internet to selected devices to give them downtime before bed. If they needed access for school work etc it's very easy to re-enable access

Reactions: Duc

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!