What's new

Blocking youtube for specific device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lance.dBoyle

New Around Here
My kids are now home remote schooling and my son is watching YouTube during classes on his school computer. I would like to block access from his school computer to Youtube. He needs to be able to do video chats and online classroom stuff so I don't want to just stop Streaming and Entertainment or P2P and File Transfer in the AiProtection - Web & Apps Filters tab. Is there a way to do this? If so how? Thank you.

My kids are now home remote schooling and my son is watching YouTube during classes on his school computer. I would like to block access from his school computer to Youtube. He needs to be able to do video chats and online classroom stuff so I don't want to just stop Streaming and Entertainment or P2P and File Transfer in the AiProtection - Web & Apps Filters tab. Is there a way to do this? If so how? Thank you.
I have kids school laptops added in webui LAN/DNS-Filter, Global mode= Router and added to custom field nextdns ip address.
nextdns.io Setup a free account and you will have a lot of options for blocking stuff like youtube (Need to link ip also, But it is explained on setup page)
And if you use it via DNS-Filter you control what devices uses it

Last edited:
Thanks Zastoff. On my router I have enabled dns filtering in the LAN settings, and set the global filer mode to router. I've also put the nextdns.io servers addresses (45.90.28.29 and 45.90.30.29) in the custom (userdefined)DNS 1 and 2 respectively. In the client list I added my kids computer mac addresses and set the filter mode to Custom 1 or Custom 2.

At nextdns.io I went to the Parental Controls and blocked Youtube Discord and Twitch.

I've read through the link ip address on nextdns.io but am obviously not doing it correctly. Do I need to switch over the routers DNS Servers1 and 2 under the DHCP Server tab in the LAN settings to the nextdns.io servers (the addresses above) or should these be as I have done by putting the nextdns.io address in the custom fields in the DNSFilter? Am I doing something else wrong?

I appreciate your help. cheers.

Last edited:
I update the ip via DDNS (in webui WAN/DDNS can setup a address to update ip) that can be added on their setup page.
But what happens if you press this link further down on your setup page?
Code:
example:(never tested with that link myself)
You can also programmatically update your linked IP by calling:
https://link-ip.nextdns.io/e****2/8*********c
edit:
On NextDNS setup page
"Currently linked IP" press the update button
but if your ip change you will lose your settings and you will have to press it again to update it or create a DDNS that update ip automatic
(and you should not have any dns set in DHCP Server tab)

Last edited: