What's new

Bonded Moca 2.0 - Max thorughput (internally + external?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m3tpe

Occasional Visitor
So I see that Bonded Moca 2.0 has a max speed of 1gbps. Does that means the entire network can only transfer up to 1gbps? For instance;
- Internal network with IP cams need 350mbps
- Gigabit network with comcast.

If up and running, does that mean due to having IP cams, my comcast will only get 1gbps-350mbps(cams) = 700 to 750mbps download speeds at the MOCA adapter? But at the modem end, i should still max at gigabit download?

Yes, the entire gigabit bandwidth of moca 2.0 is shared.

But it's not absolute in terms of what one will get. If your IP cams are constantly using a total of 350Mbps on the moca network, then yes, you will be limited to 650Mbps (at best) available bandwidth. and you would get full 1Gbps bandwidth from the modem as usual.

However, it doesn't take much to change this if you need more bandwidth as you can run individual moca networks to each camera using a adapter on each end, which even using a non-bonded 2.0 adapter would get you 500Mbps+, and these adapters can be quite cheap. You could even step down to moca 1.0 on each of this spans. The costs do go up this way, but you can have much more aggregate bandwidth.

The other end of this would plug into a normal gigabit switch, so you would have full gigabit to each of the moca spans going to the cameras.

You can even use a hybrid approach, creating 2 different moca networks that are not connected so that way the hit to the 1Gbps is much less, like only 175Mbps (350/2) for example. And in my experience, one cannot really tell the difference between 800Mbps and 930Mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!