What's new

Book suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dreba

Regular Contributor
Hi I would like to learn more about scripting. Does the router use unix scripting? Perl? Where do I learn more?

Perl is not installed by default on the router, but it certainly can be added using the Entware libraries.

Most of the scripts posted here, including my ad-blocking script, are shell scripts.
Asus and Asuswrt-Merlin use a limited BusyBox, which comes with the Ash shell.
If you want to learn shell scripting, start maybe here, with more info what the ash shell supports on the BusyBox website and here.

Last edited:
It depends how much you know. There are tons of free tutorials & books out there.

Like @thelonelycoder said, the particular scripting on AsusWRT-merlin is related to busybox & it's included ash. You could probably install bash though.

My favorite book is probably Unix Power Tools. My favorite online tutorial, for quite a few Unix-related topics, is probably http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sh.html