What's new

Both Wireless Bands Disappear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trameltanz

Occasional Visitor
Team, I have an issue with the latest, RT-AC88U_384.5_0.zip.

I loaded the new flash a couple of weeks ago onto my AC88U and had no problems until last night when I noticed that both wireless bands disappeared and the inside web interface was REALLY slow so I restarted the router. After reboot I had wireless, both bands, about 30 minutes then they disappeared again. Restart again and get the same result.

So I loaded Firmware:380.68_4., reset to defaults, programmed my DDNS, setup my wireless, and I have not had issues since.

I have NEVER had to report any issues with Merlin's OS so I find this surprising.

Any insight would be helpful.

I loaded the new flash a couple of weeks ago onto my AC88U and had no problems until last night when I noticed that both wireless bands disappeared and the inside web interface was REALLY slow so I restarted the router.
Did you do a factory rest and manual re-config also after loading 384.5?

AND: A power cycle from time to time (at least at firmware change) is also recommended and can solve strange issues (at least on my AC87Us it helped).

Just out of curiosity: Why did you not go for the latest 380.70 version?

Last edited:
@joegreat -
Your first question: I always reset the router to defaults after uploading new firmware.
2nd question: I simply chose this version because it was the last working version I had loaded before I went to 384.5

I will try the 380.7 and report back; obviously reset the router after the new firmware is loaded.

Did you do a factory rest and manual re-config also after loading 384.5?

AND: A power cycle from time to time (at least at firmware change) is also recommended and can solve strange issues (at least on my AC87Us it helped).

Just out of curiosity: Why did you not go for the latest 380.70 version?

I use namecheap for DDNS. Whenever I make changes in namecheap the router, without me touching it, goes absolute haywire. I purchased a new DNS with a SSL cert and I have had problems with name resolution. I use the router as the DNS which probably uses the DNS of my ISP. I can specify DNS using google or PIA but I notice a second in response to clicks in the browser.

The only light to come one is the power light and I lose all connectivity. Power cycle does not work. I have to reset it.

I am using 380.70 as the firmware.

REALLY WEIRD!

I am not sure if the problem is with the MerlinOS. I got so fed up with it yesterday that I loaded Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045 from Asus. It rebooted like 5x in about 3 hours after the stock firmware was installed.

I stopped using NameCheap and put in DynDNS, this did not help so I disabled DDNS. This was no help. I turned all special features and it still gave me problems.

I have a Sonicwall tz105 running right now......

This problem started when I moved the router to a different room. This room does not get A/C so I put a small desk fan above it. The other real big change is with the cable modem I am using. I stopped using the SB6141 and now use the Netgear CM700

The router keeps either rebooting or locking up. It will run anywhere from 30 mins to several hours before it hangs up again.

The device is 2 years old and I am not excited about replacing it.

Is there any feedback regarding the AC88U and this behavior? Is it normal? Is this common?

Is it something I have done or maybe an incompatibility with the cable modem?

Any words of experience or encouragement are helpful!

I missed the bit about a new modem , so the new modem and Sonicwall are playing nice with each other? I assume that gives you a bit of flexibility to thoroughly poke at the 88U.

Have you tried flashing latest stock, doing a factory reset, then set it up in AP mode now? If it’s a hardware problem it should reproduce similar results regardless of the mode you put it in. If it runs fine in AP mode after a reset then it’s probably some software issue.

You may want to go back to the 380 branch of code until the issue gets found/resolved...
Wish I could go back to 380 on my 3200's , can only use the 5 ghz bands as 2.4 although showing connecting @ 300 Mbps can barely down;load a file @ 250 Kbps .

Wish I could go back to 380 on my 3200's , can only use the 5 ghz bands as 2.4 although showing connecting @ 300 Mbps can barely down;load a file @ 250 Kbps .

There is at least one user that was able to downgrade to 380 on 3200 and solved his 2.4Ghz issues.

IIRC though he had to power cycle + factory reset multiple times after the flash though. Worth a try and worst come to worst you flash 384.5 back.

There is at least one user that was able to downgrade to 380 on 3200 and solved his 2.4Ghz issues.

IIRC though he had to power cycle + factory reset multiple times after the flash though. Worth a try and worst come to worst you flash 384.5 back.
Really need this router , cannot afford to brick it . I'll just live with it until I can no longer stand it

Last edited:
I'll give 384.3 a shot , hope t works . Have to wait a few hours before I can give it a manual reboot , not getting any better so far with gui reboot . I'll se by tomorrow if it fixes things
update , manual reboot and a reinitialize dud not help the 2.4 radio , shows connection at 300 Mbps but can only dl at 126 to 336 kbps , transfers between computer the same . Decided something is very wrong with the 2.4 radio and got an RMA . been over 3 weeks with this problem and have had enough , problem 3200 is only 2 months old
The 2nd of my 3200 has no problems , the 3rd not sure as it is not running and 1400 miles distant

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!