What's new

Brand new AC86U's 5GHz dead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

So basically. When it came. Its still fine . I just connect it to the internet. Let it update the firmware. Then reset . Then I go set the router for my needs. After I'm done. It's working just fine. Then when I was watching YouTube I noticed sometimes it disconnects (in the 5ghz band) and then reconnects just fine. I thought it was a little bug or something. And then after watching a few YouTube videos I was curious and wanting to see if I'm on 5ghz or 2.4ghz. and what the heck? It's now on 2.4ghz. then I go check and no 5ghz anywhere. Tried rebooting. Changing channels . Reset the data 2 times. Still no go. 5ghz just disappeared. I guess my unit was a bust? I'm applying for replacement now since It just got here today. Anyone ever got this problem? I only read 2.4ghz problems but never the 5ghz

Sounds like it's broken. :( Does the 5GHz radio show up in System Log - Wireless Log?
I can see the temperature. But here's what it shows in wireless log

ac8e1f47e0ff9a612de8f80f49c5917c.jpg

Have you tried to disable 5 Ghz radio and then enable it?
After that try a different channel for 5 Ghz, channel 36 should not have any interference (apart from flat neighbours).

Have you tried to disable 5 Ghz radio and then enable it?
After that try a different channel for 5 Ghz, channel 36 should probably not have any interference (apart from flat neighbours).
Yeah I tried that too. Disabled the radio for 5ghz and then re enabling it. No result. And channel 36 etc not working too. So basically it's like dead

Thank you. It seems like they still have the broadcast. I don't have any hehe

That is unfortunate :(.
I had some issues with that 5 Ghz dissappeared at first as well. Turning the radio off and then on solved it for me. It has been also been stable since I set it to channel 36.
Hope you find a solution or a new router :).

That is unfortunate :(.
I had some issues with that 5 Ghz dissappeared at first as well. Turning the radio off and then on solved it for me. It has been also been stable since I set it to channel 36.
Hope you find a solution or a new router :).
Yeah I hope the seller would replace it ASAP. :)

So basically. When it came. Its still fine . I just connect it to the internet. Let it update the firmware. Then reset . Then I go set the router for my needs. After I'm done. It's working just fine. Then when I was watching YouTube I noticed sometimes it disconnects (in the 5ghz band) and then reconnects just fine. I thought it was a little bug or something. And then after watching a few YouTube videos I was curious and wanting to see if I'm on 5ghz or 2.4ghz. and what the heck? It's now on 2.4ghz. then I go check and no 5ghz anywhere. Tried rebooting. Changing channels . Reset the data 2 times. Still no go. 5ghz just disappeared. I guess my unit was a bust? I'm applying for replacement now since It just got here today. Anyone ever got this problem? I only read 2.4ghz problems but never the 5ghz

When you 'reset', what did you do exactly?

If you have the time to follow the steps for an M&M Config or better, a Nuclear Reset, it may either fix the issue or clearly point out the hardware fault by putting your router into a good/known state. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/
Eh help!. I followed it. Basically what I did was unplug the power. Hold the WPS button. Plug it in. Wait a few and then let go of WPS . If I let go WPS after 30seconds. The leds are dead. Like nothing. But if I release the WPS button when I see a small blinking light . It boots. But stuck with one red led and one white led kinda blinking 2 times. Then stuck . What can I do?

Edit : so basically it seems like it's bootlooping . I managed to flash the original firmware again using the rescue mode. It booted. And no 5ghz. And then when I tried to change the channel . It doesn't do an effect too. So now I tried to change the country . And when it reboots. Tada it goes back to bootlooping. Something is clearly wrong with this unit. Hmm

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue. I created a thread about it too and still haven't managed to resolve it.

Mine is a bought from GearBest.com, but the ASUS Technical Service guy said that the router was meant for the Canadian market, hence the warranty is applicable only in Canada.

I am really in a mess here, with the RT86u being a very expensive router and everything.

Thread link: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-5ghz-band-dead-mac-address-shows-up-blank.57222/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!