What's new

Brand New RT-AX86U going in this week - best practices for optimal success?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sonicmojo

Regular Contributor
All

After many a great year with my (Merlinized) RT-AC86U - it's time for an upgrade. Finally nabbed a new RT-AX86U and will be starting the home LAN afresh this weekend.

The existing AC86U will be moving upstairs to provide "mesh' coverage for the upper level of the house and I will of course be updating the new router to the latest Merlin as soon as possible.

But once I get the latest Merlin in place - is there a standard checklist around SNBForums to ensure I get the most optimum starting point to put this into daily use?

Any info (or even existing threads or pinned posts) on best practices for an optimum new config would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Sonic.

First of all, congratulations on your new router!

I would not recommend pairing an AC class router with an AX class router, and the good news is that you may not even have to (test first with the new router only). If you do want to use that old AC router in your network, the best fit (and one where it won't impact your new AX class network) would be to use it in Media Bridge mode for your most used hardwired capable devices instead.

The basic advice that has changed very little from when I compiled it and joined almost 10 years ago hasn't changed.

Note you do not need to be connected to your ISP when setting up the router. This is highly recommended and gives you access to the 'net while you're setting up the new hardware.

Flash the firmware you want. Don't waste time testing stock firmware first, if you want to use RMerlin firmware, do so, and test with it right from the start.

Do not toggle settings on/off to see what they do. Many settings do not leave the router in the same state after toggling them on/off, vs. just leaving them alone. To quickly and fully go back, you will need to do another full reset, so thread lightly.

Keep good notes and document each change past the default you make on your network. Do not rely on past workarounds and/or scripts on the latest devices. First, because they may not be needed anymore, and secondly, because the underlying logic may have changed substantially now.

Flash the firmware you want to use. Use the following link to reset to factory defaults (be sure you follow the instructions for your specific model).

And the following links are where I still begin when setting up a new network. Haven't failed me yet.

And additional information for you too.

Last edited:
L&LD

Wow. Thank you so much for the input. I do appreciate the links and feedback.

Can you expand a bit on Media bridge mode? I do have a ton of hard wired devices around here and have seen this Mode but never really studied it in depth.

Cheers

Sonic.

Can you expand a bit on Media bridge mode? I do have a ton of hard wired devices around here and have seen this Mode but never really studied it in depth.
It basically turns the router into a switch that you don't need to run a LAN cable to from the router, so you can place them in odd places. Eats up wifi bandwidth, however. If you can run a cable with difficulty, it's better to do that than clog up the airspace with more traffic IMHO

It basically turns the router into a switch that you don't need to run a LAN cable to from the router, so you can place them in odd places. Eats up wifi bandwidth, however. If you can run a cable with difficulty, it's better to do that than clog up the airspace with more traffic IMHO

Interesting. So - even in this mode - the wireless radios are still on etc?

I may pass on this as I do have proper LAN cabling throughout the house (and a couple of spare switches kicking around)

Now L&LD mentions that it is not a good idea to pair an AC class router with an AX class - is it because of conflict or having the AX device slow down to the lowest common speed or what exactly are the negatives?

Cheers

Sonic.

You're welcome. Most, but not all, AX class routers are moving to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware, while AC class routers will never be upgraded past their current version 3.0.0.4.xxx levels. This will only increasingly cause issues when both are used in Aimesh mode in a single network.

The main benefit of Media Bridge mode is that the clients that are now wireless are still effectively wireless (via the Media Bridge), but they will have a much stronger connection to the main router and also much lower latency too, without the hassle of physical wires. While it may seem like the wireless overhead remains the same, it actually drops because the AC-powered Media Bridge needs much less airtime for those clients than they would need individually, themselves.

For the future, the following link may be helpful to you too.

Reactions: fsb
You're welcome. Most, but not all, AX class routers are moving to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware, while AC class routers will never be upgraded past their current version 3.0.0.4.xxx levels. This will only increasingly cause issues when both are used in Aimesh mode in a single network.

But - let's say one is not specifically concerned about firmware at this time (Case in point: I am still using my trusty REALLY old RT-AC66U as an Access Point upstairs with 86U) and let's say I am only concerned with killing dead WIFI spots around the house - is there any physical/speed/setup reason to NOT use them together if I use the AC86U as just an access point (rather than an AIMesh specific client)?

I only mention this since my super old AC66U is running on the last issue of its ASUS 2019 firmware and other than its now failing power switch - has done a bang up job as an AP. Firmware has never been a concern and I knew that going in.

I am really wanting to get more wireless "help" for my upper level of the house by keeping the AC86U in the mix if possible.

Of course - I will start the new LAN by leaning on just the RT-AX86U if it REALLY gives good WIFI coverage - but this house is known to eat routers (and their advertised coverage) as an ongoing badge of honor :)

Maybe this AX86U has the power to finally punch thru!

Sonic.

Hi,
I like to buy a ASUS RT-AX86S - Router Gaming AX5700 WiFi 6
Is this a good choice?
thxs for answering

Hi,
I like to buy a ASUS RT-AX86S - Router Gaming AX5700 WiFi 6
Is this a good choice?
thxs for answering

John - if you cruise the boards here - there are a ton of folks running this router. Must have something good about it :) As noted - mine is sitting shrinkwrapped in it's box at the moment. I can share whether it's a good choice or not once I get up and running next week.

Cheers

Sonic.

John - if you cruise the boards here - there are a ton of folks running this router. Must have something good about it :) As noted - mine is sitting shrinkwrapped in it's box at the moment. I can share whether it's a good choice or not once I get up and running next week.

Cheers

Sonic.
I appreciate your comment, my worries are because is not a RT-AX86U, is a RT-AX86S and I have not seen this nomination before

I appreciate your comment, my worries are because is not a RT-AX86U, is a RT-AX86S and I have not seen this nomination before

John - my apologies. Yes yours is the "S" - not familiar with that one to make a comment unfortunately.

But I am sure someone will chime in. Please consider starting your own thread so mine does not get off track here.

Thanks!

Sonic.

If used as just an access point, there should be few if any issues.

But this is why I got rid of the RT-AX88U when I bought an RT-AX86U. The RT-AX88U would slow down the network when it was in the loop (in Aimesh node, wired backhaul).

The RT-AX86U is recommended. The 's' version, hardly. Spend a few dollars more to get better hardware.

Or, better to get the much better balanced (hardware) GT-AX6000 instead, today.

Good luck with the 'pro'. The GT-AX6000 is still a better buy, today.

But - let's say one is not specifically concerned about firmware at this time (Case in point: I am still using my trusty REALLY old RT-AC66U as an Access Point upstairs with 86U) and let's say I am only concerned with killing dead WIFI spots around the house - is there any physical/speed/setup reason to NOT use them together if I use the AC86U as just an access point (rather than an AIMesh specific client)?

I only mention this since my super old AC66U is running on the last issue of its ASUS 2019 firmware and other than its now failing power switch - has done a bang up job as an AP. Firmware has never been a concern and I knew that going in.

I am really wanting to get more wireless "help" for my upper level of the house by keeping the AC86U in the mix if possible.

Of course - I will start the new LAN by leaning on just the RT-AX86U if it REALLY gives good WIFI coverage - but this house is known to eat routers (and their advertised coverage) as an ongoing badge of honor :)

Maybe this AX86U has the power to finally punch thru!

Sonic.

My setup is much the same as yours, Sonic. I use an AX86U and AC86U in AiMesh mode and they work nicely together. It's worth trying.

Reactions: fsb
Just to chime in; I have the AX-86S and have been running it for almost a year now. Currently running Merlin 386.5_2 and it's been solid!

I am getting this note in system log:
"miniupnpd[2837]: private/reserved address 192.168.0.20 is not suitable for external IP"
dozens of times, what should I do to correct it?
update
I switched off Instant Guard and the advise disappeard!
???

Last edited:
My setup is much the same as yours, Sonic. I use an AX86U and AC86U in AiMesh mode and they work nicely together. It's worth trying.

Are you seeing any slowdowns or negatives (specifically with the "newer" AX86U) that makes you think something is compromised?

Sonic

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!