What's new

Breaking Dad's Big Bad Gaming Discussion - For all things to do with PC Gaming !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry to say - if I'm spending $800+ on a GPU card, it won't be intel...
Intel`s GPU is $250, not $800+. They have already stated numerous times they have no interest in covering the high-end portion of the market, where AMD and nVidia are ripping off customers by charging $1000 for their high-end GPUs.

Not interested in being Intel's beta tester, not even if they gave it to me for free...

I can somewhat understand @sfx2000 s aversion. People want competition/lower prices but the paradox is they also generally don’t want to (understandably & me included) support/pay for an unknown/new player that may actually enable that, till they build up their reputation. Question is as @RMerlin alluded to earlier, will management be patient enough to support this endeavor long enough to overcome the initial hurdles/build up a decent following. Intel isn’t exactly new to the GPU space but their last attempt at a discrete solution was years ago. Also from what I understand from looking at recent reviews they fixed most of the major driver bugs in the ARC series.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks to @BreakingDad for starting this thread and inspiring me to get some of the older classics running again. (And I'm surprised how much seems as if it could be playable despite the age of the machine!)

The question may be how long until the lure of more recent games has me spending a small fortune...

Just wanted to say thanks to @BreakingDad for starting this thread and inspiring me to get some of the older classics running again. (And I'm surprised how much seems as if it could be playable despite the age of the machine!)

The question may be how long until the lure of more recent games has me spending a small fortune...
GOG has Wing Commander IV. Gonna give that a spin. And Amazon Prime has Baulder’s Gate free this month. Finally, check out Abandonware for stuff you can’t find on GOG.

GOG has Wing Commander IV. Gonna give that a spin. And Amazon Prime has Baulder’s Gate free this month. Finally, check out Abandonware for stuff you can’t find on GOG.
Amazing the free games recently on prime, epic, gog etc. I have a bot in discord that pops up with any new free games.

I saw baulders gate, but would be more interested in the new one I think rn.

My father in his 80s still runs the BBC Micro games on an emulator. BBC Micro Emulator

He has still yet to beat my chuckie egg score from the 80s however :) 448k I believe.

There are also emulators for the Amiga, C64. Apple IIe and many others on that link

Good fun.

Amazing the free games recently on prime, epic, gog etc. I have a bot in discord that pops up with any new free games.

I saw baulders gate, but would be more interested in the new one I think rn.

My father in his 80s still runs the BBC Micro games on an emulator. BBC Micro Emulator

He has still yet to beat my chuckie egg score from the 80s however :) 448k I believe.

There are also emulators for the Amiga, C64. Apple IIe and many others on that link

Good fun.
Your father sounds like a fun guy!

This past summer I spent a lot of time emulating old Nintendo/original gameboy and PlayStation games

Your father sounds like a fun guy!

This past summer I spent a lot of time emulating old Nintendo/original gameboy and PlayStation games
Yes lol, he is, in someways a 25 year old in an 80 year olds body.

So I finally got my pc stable with some tweaks, going to share here just in case anyone else is getting into DDR5 AM5

Memory VDDR 1.35 > 1.39, Memory VDDQ 1.35 > 139 (@138 was still getting crashes) anything under 1.4 is safe for this memory.
EXPO II Profile @ 6000, even tested pushing it to 6200 with no issues but reverted for optimal stability
Memory Context Restore Enabled
UCLK=MemCLK 1:1
Power Down Enabled
PBO All Core Negative 30
PBO Thermal Throttle 90 degrees

14 days zero crashes, zero boot fails.
Finally got the system I wanted.

above average cinebench benchmark, with reduced power consumption and stable temps.

Even when running AAA titles CPU doesn't go above 60degrees, highly recommend Artic Liquid Freezer coolers.

X670E chipset, Ryzen 7 7700x , 2x16gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000, 3070 RTX (for now)

(more) New AMD GPU's https://www.dexerto.com/tech/new-amd-gpus-coming-soon-after-surprise-listing-appears-online-2064151/

Last edited:
You are lucky not many can do -30 offset all cores, stably. Out of curiosity did you do like a day or two Prime 95 or OCCT or the likes to confirm? I remember overclocking a Northwood P4 back in the day would be stable for days but would show errors in P95 after like 6-8 hours.

Last edited:
You are lucky not many can do -30 offset all cores, stably. Out of curiosity did you do like a day or two Prime 95 or OCCT or the likes to confirm? I remember overclocking a Northwood P4 back in the day would be stable for days but would show errors in P95 after like 6-8 hours.

Yes so it seems, the guy on youtube said it's a lottery on the -30 offset, No I just ran cinebench for 30 min. If it starts crashing I may delve deeper, don't have the time to run Prime95 for for 8 hours. Although I run games every night and have no issues for 15 days so far.

Curve Optimizer testing need to involve single threaded loads, and also bursty tests, since the offset also gets applied when a core has no load applied to it. Sometimes crashing may occur as a core goes from 100% load to 0% load.

A good starting point is probably to use Ryzen Master's automatic CO tuning, which will do the testing per core for you. After that you can tweak the results if you wish so.

Yeah just be mindful then, when I tested, my 5800 could only do like -5 before showing errors. If just playing games may not be a big deal but might still crash in some random program at some point or cause corruption. Also I also failed to mention my P4 that I spoke of previously did end up causing crashes in specific programs, hence the longer testing.

Yeah just be mindful then, when I tested, my 5800 could only do like -5 before showing errors. If just playing games may not be a big deal but might still crash in some random program at some point or cause corruption. Also I also failed to mention my P4 that I spoke of previously did end up causing crashes in specific programs, hence the longer testing.
I suspect that AGESA updates helped at some point. My 5900X used to be unstable past -19 to -23, now I have everything set between -23 and -27. The new values were found by running Ryzen Master`s auto tuning after AMD added CO support to it.

Yes so it seems, the guy on youtube said it's a lottery on the -30 offset, No I just ran cinebench for 30 min. If it starts crashing I may delve deeper, don't have the time to run Prime95 for for 8 hours. Although I run games every night and have no issues for 15 days so far.

I was a bit puzzled - offset, etc...

For those who are not Ryzen centric - they're discussing the Ryzen Master util...

Curve Optimizer can also be set in the bios. I don’t care for tuning with Ryzen Master. So I set my curve offsets in the bios.
Did you set per core, or just go for all core?

Still no crashes after 20 days, apart from once which I caused by dicking around with gamebar, now removed the service entirely as I don't use it.

Also going to mess abvout with OCCT, but I doubt I'll run it for 24 hours, I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

Did you set per core, or just go for all core?

Still no crashes after 20 days, apart from once which I caused by dicking around with gamebar, now removed the service entirely as I don't use it.

Also going to mess abvout with OCCT, but I doubt I'll run it for 24 hours, I don't have that kind of time on my hands.
I don’t do per core, that takes a lot of testing for not enough benefit. I don’t do a long test either. I found the first stable point with an hour test in cinebench. Then did an occt test for an hour or so. Then I took it a couple steps down for a little headroom. Then I just play games and rip/encode blu rays with handbrake as usual. I think I’m at -15 on my 5800x. I’ve not had a single WHEA error in the last 2.5 years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!