What's new

Bridge an ethernet port to WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samip537

New Around Here
Hi there,

I'm new here, and I have just yesterday flashed Asuswrt-Merlin on my AC87U.

My idea is that I would want one of the Ethernet ports bypass the NAT entirely of the device without disabling it all together as it's needed for the WiFi for example, but the bypass should only be for the single Ethernet port.

The question is how is this doable? I know about the ebtables, and iptables.

Background information:
The modem is some ISP grade hardware, nothing I can play with as the internet comes to the apartment though Ethernet.
AC87U has SSH enabled.
ISP gives me 4 public IPv4 addresses.

I imagine it'll be easier to just add a 4 port switch between the Router and the Modem. Then you'll have 2 spare port which can be connected to and have public IP directly configured (I assume that is the goal?).

I messed about trying to pass WAN IP's into the LAN space but it wasn't worth the effort for the sake of a $20 switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine it'll be easier to just add a 4 port switch between the Router and the Modem. Then you'll have 2 spare port which can be connected to and have public IP directly configured (I assume that is the goal?).

I messed about trying to pass WAN IP's into the LAN space but it wasn't worth the effort for the sake of a $20 switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't wish to use a switch between as I have the AC87U already, and I know it's doable, but I'm just not sure about the how part.
You're right what my goal here is, but I just wish the traffic to be though the Asus router.

Last edited: