What's new

Bridge WAN with WLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binaryblob

New Around Here
I just got a brand new AX88U with its fancy radio. I would like to bridge the WAN (eth0) with WLAN (eth6 for 2.4, eth7 for 5Ghz), while keeping other wired ethernet ports for a complex VPN setup.

So I created a new bridge br1, and moved eth0, eth6 and eth7 into it:
Code:
brctl addbr br1
brctl delif br0 eth0
brctl delif br0 eth6
brctl delif br0 eth7
brctl addif br1 eth0
brctl addif br1 eth6
brctl addif br1 eth7
ip address del 192.168.1.2/24 dev eth0
ip address br1 192.168.1.2/24 broadcast +  dev br1
ip link set br1 up

My iPhone is kind of happy with this setup, but I have to use a static IP. Other devices such as a Windows laptop and an Android phone won't connect at all, even with a static IP.

I found that some process are expecting eth0 to be the default interface for routing and tried to reconfigure the route every few seconds, so I had to fix it with:
nvram set wan_ifnames=br1
nvram set wan0_ifname=br1
nvram set wan0_gw_ifname=br1
nvram set br0_ifnames='eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5'
nvram set lan_ifnames='eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5'
nvram set landevs='et1 et2 et3 et4 et5'
nvram set wandevs='et0 wl0 wl1'
nvram set br1_ifnames='eth0 eth6 eth7'

Now the router is happy, it can ping external IPs and the routing table is sane, however, WLAN is still broken.

I installed tcpdump. It 'works', but the only packets displayed are broadcast/multicast and packets directed to the router itself (ssh). When reverting the config to the plain AP mode, eth0 to eth7 are all bridged to br0 and everything works, but tcpdump still don't show unicast packets, so I can't really debug with this tool.

It looks like there is some kind of hardware bridge involved, maybe controlled by ethswctl, but this command is very obscure.

Do you have any pointers or any way to debug this setup ?

Thanks !