What's new

Bridging Help: RT-N66U to RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Hi,

First - sorry for bombarding the forum today. I am just in the midst of it.

I am trying to bridge the two RT-N66U routers together. I have the latest firmware on both units installed and used the following instructions.

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail....6A44-9182-C513B58F5B89&p=11&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

I have triple checked the instructions yet I cannot make a connection to 1) the router or 2) the internet.

Any advice?

Futher - Can't I shut the wireless off in the bridge device? I really do not want to repeat the connection. I am just looking to use it a bridge.

Thanks in advance.

To add more detail - I am not interested in it being half duplex or send and receive. I guess I believed that is what a bridge does. The D-Link DAP-1522 can be a true bridge the way I was thinking.

Also - I see the RT-AC66U has a media bridge mode. I wonder if that has that dedicated mode and shuts off the wireless.

Thanks again.

I am contacting ASUS for some support on this, but I fear this is nothing more than repeating mode and not a true bridge.

Does anyone know if ASUSWRT has a dedicated bridge mode? I did not see it listed on the specs page.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that if you go into wireless under the "professional tab" you can turn off the radio.

I did install ASUSWRT and did not find any bridge settings that are different from the stock firmware.

FWIW....

Did you ever find out the answer?

Coincidentally, I was trying something similar, the setup works, but if the main router gets power cycled, and the two devices that are set as bridges are not, they do not reconnect.

I have an asus ac66u as main router, default settings.

I have an asus rtn10+ and an rt 12, using default asus firmware, they are set in repeating mode.

They each have one ethernet wired device directly connected by ethernet wire.

The goal is to use these asus devices to make two wired ethernet devices wireless.

I do not want these asus routers to be repeaters, just bridges.

If I power cycle the rtn12 and rtn10+ last they connect to the ac66u and the wired devices are then "on the LAN".

But this a problem, that is, if the main router gets restarted for any reason, everything else needs to be restarted?

Dave - I did not get it to work.

I have been working with someone at ASUS in there upper tech support department. Here were his comments.

- they use the WDS spec and the maximum speed is 54 MBs...
- WDS mode should shut the radio off in the bridge (on least the band you are bridging with) - Hybrid mode is will leave the radio active. I never got it to work as described.
- I am told the media bridge mode in the AC66U is going to go away, leaving repeater as the only option.

So the long and short is it will not act as a true bridge. I have used a DLink DAP-1522 that I will put back into service. It does all the things I am looking for and connects at a fast rate. It does have some Windows Home group issues, but I cannot remember why.

I wish ASUS would make a true bridge - seems to me it could be done with firmware...

good luck