What's new

Bringing high speed internet to a new construction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fizikz

Regular Contributor
My friend has a newly constructed house in a suburban area, and the house is 700' from the street. He currently gets only 5Mbps DSL service and no cable service.

He really wants to get higher speed internet, which will require additional infrastructure. The cable company quoted thousands to provide service to the house. What are the most cost effective options?

Eg.
  • Running coax cable to the house (buried)
  • Installing a modem in a weatherproof box near the street/gate, and
    • running ethernet to the house (potentially distance issues)
    • using directional wireless to link to the house
Any advice on how to do this right?

How much speed is he looking to get and is there clear line of sight between the house and street?

He was looking at 120/20 Mbps cable plans. I'm told there is line of sight to within 20' of the house.

If the cable company would install service to a weatherproof box, you could span the distance with fiber.

You could also do it with a wireless link. But that would not be as robust a solution.

Where can I get information about such a fiber setup? I'm guessing that would provide a way around ethernet distance limitations.

Currently there isn't power at the street. It might be run from the house, but if there's an easier way that would be great.

My friend has a newly constructed house in a suburban area, and the house is 700' from the street. He currently gets only 5Mbps DSL service and no cable service.

He really wants to get higher speed internet, which will require additional infrastructure. The cable company quoted thousands to provide service to the house. What are the most cost effective options?

He should be fortunate perhaps - there's a couple of articles on arstechnica where even DSL wasn't an option...

It's an ugly situation - and a mixed bag with regulations, local ordinances, FCC, and the rest...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!