What's new

Broken RT-AC5300 from Ebay can be repaired?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tibor Makai

Occasional Visitor
New around here, hi to everyone.
I see a bunch of these routers are sold on Ebay and I was wondering, if they can be repaired, or should I pass.
Most of them are in reboot loop, or only some of the LEDs are on.

Thank you,

Tibor

Any input would be appreciated.

This is impossible to tell, because you don't have the device in your hands to properly diagnose it. For instance, a reboot loop might as well be a corrupted firmware (which could be reflashed) or a hardware fault (which cannot be resolved).

very likely whats happened here is that a bunch of AC5300 was returned, some of them are repaired and sold as refurbished, and the rest sold as not working.

Repair has been attempted though but barely anyone properly repairs things. The sort of repair required is on component level repair. You should watch Louis Rossmann on youtube as he does component level repair, things that repair shops are supposed to do.

Various problems that you would have to diagnose, do some SMD soldering to replace the components. However it can be a pain to find the components so usually people buy not working stuff to get a hold of components not available to buy such as the PCH of motherboards, chipsets and so on.

I'm not afraid of repairing at component level, I have the equipment. Knowledge is the biggest issue. I have never repaired a router.

As it's being sold "as is", and you'll have to acquire a power adapter at maybe another $20, you'll be at $170 in on the device with zero recourse if you never get it working. It's a $170 gamble. Too risky for my blood, but to each his own. Good luck!

To replace a voltage regulator, would be the easiest of repairs.
The risk is big for me too, that is why I'm here and I'm asking questions, to reduce that risk.

Just make sure to read all of the listing as some say they do not include the power adapter while others do include it.

I could use an aftermarket one as well, no?

Only Merlin here. Thank you Merlin, for your hard work!
Asus RT-AC3100, 2 x RT-AC68, T-Mobile AC1900 converted to RT-AC68

Last edited:
I sure wish that I had one to sell you.:eek: