What's new

Browsing Samba by name - always error 0x80070035 first time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

When in Windows 10 I try to browse network share being Samba drive on the router, using its network name (configured "device name" in Samba settings on the router), first time it always fails with code 0x80070035 - "Network path is not found". If I open it by IP address, \\192.168.1.1 , it does open up. If in a minute I open it again by network name, now it works.
Searching on this forum for 0x80070035 brings up quite a few results with varying symptoms, but it appears, no definite solution.

I always found SMB shares to be glitchy. Back in the days of WINS it worked better (if you had a WINS server/domain controller configured) but now if your machine goes to sleep, it may miss that announcement. Much better to rely on dns, why not go to \\router (or whatever hostname you've given it)? Not sure if there is a way to run a WINS server off the Asus then announce that IP via DHCP to clients, never looked into it, but like I said DNS should work.

Have you configured it in the same workgroup as your clients? That may or may not help.

>Much better to rely on dns, why not go to \\router (or whatever hostname you've given it)?

That's exactly what I'm doing. If I understand you correctly, you suggest not to enable samba on the router at all? Then I can't browse the shares. When it's enabled, I can go to \\router - but like I said, the first attempt to do it always fails, and then in couple of minutes the same works. Going to \\<router's-ip-address> works always.

>Much better to rely on dns, why not go to \\router (or whatever hostname you've given it)?

That's exactly what I'm doing. If I understand you correctly, you suggest not to enable samba on the router at all? Then I can't browse the shares. When it's enabled, I can go to \\router - but like I said, the first attempt to do it always fails, and then in couple of minutes the same works. Going to \\<router's-ip-address> works always.

What I'm saying is don't use the same name for your samba share as you use for the router itself. Then when you browse to \\router you're using DNS to hit 192.168.1.1 rather than the SMB name which can be buggy. Unless the router for some reason forces you to use the same name, I haven't toyed with it in quite a while.

I guess worst case you could create a DNS A record or CNAME pointing to the router's IP and use that, but that would require a script as it can't be done in the GUI.