What's new

BRT-AC828 features on Merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

argand

New Around Here
Now that BRT-AC828 was released, is there any chance of adding some of its features to Merlin FW?
I don't know if there is any hardware limitation on the home models that would prevent this to happen.
It would be interesting to have VLAN functionality, multiple subnets, multiple DHCP servers...

Thanks in advance.

Now that BRT-AC828 was released, is there any chance of adding some of its features to Merlin FW?
I don't know if there is any hardware limitation on the home models that would prevent this to happen.
It would be interesting to have VLAN functionality, multiple subnets, multiple DHCP servers...

Thanks in advance.

Only if Asus implemented it in the baseline firmware code. That probably won't be the case for most of what you list (such as VLAN support) since this implementation is hardware-specific.

Which of the firmware support this model? BRT-AC828
Asus is sending me a unit of this for testing sometimes this week and I would like to run some test on stock and Merlin firmware.

Thank you

Which of the firmware support this model? BRT-AC828
Asus is sending me a unit of this for testing sometimes this week and I would like to run some test on stock and Merlin firmware.

Thank you
I should think that is not the intent of having you test that model for Asus. Almost always, beta testing is done with stock firmware. Anomalies with Merlin's firmware is not relevant to what Asus is looking for. That is issues that may arise with their firmware. Unless they specifically asked you to test Merlin's firmware you should stick with their firmware.

doubt there is alot of testing going on if you ditch stock firmware the first thing you do ;)

I should think that is not the intent of having you test that model for Asus. Almost always, beta testing is done with stock firmware. Anomalies with Merlin's firmware is not relevant to what Asus is looking for. That is issues that may arise with their firmware. Unless they specifically asked you to test Merlin's firmware you should stick with their firmware.
Reason for testing is to find the performance of the router in a VPN environment since it is named as a VPN router. I guess I need to downgrade my testing server to match the router version. Looking at the features in the BRT and its firmware, it is quite solid on its own with the exception of older version for openssl, openvpn and strongswan. I might attempt to rebuild the stock and replacing with newer source for the older versions.

Reason for testing is to find the performance of the router in a VPN environment since it is named as a VPN router. I guess I need to downgrade my testing server to match the router version. Looking at the features in the BRT and its firmware, it is quite solid on its own with the exception of older version for openssl, openvpn and strongswan. I might attempt to rebuild the stock and replacing with newer source for the older versions.
Can you post a screenshot of the OpenVPN client page?

I think its the same as any of the stock firmware. Its still using OpenVPN 2.3.2 which meant only TLS 1.0.
I can make the connection easily if I change the TLS to any of the TLS 1.0. Using inline format ovpn to import makes is easier to add any custom config. Any changes you want to add need to be done before the import.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.12.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.12.06 PM.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 1,019
There are quite a few features on this new model which makes it above the rest of the previous models. Here are some of the screenshots:
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.23.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.23.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.23.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.22.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.18.18 PM.png

Traffic Analyzer and Adaptive QoS have been part of other models for a few years already. They're not unique to the BRT line.

I just want to know when I can buy one of these in the U.S.
Never got a response from ASUS when asked.

I just want to know when I can buy one of these in the U.S.
Never got a response from ASUS when asked.
Hello, I'm about to wrap out my review on this, but before you go and buy them, one of the result is that this unit with its stock firmware works very well iOS on WiFi while its WiFi performance drops compared to android devices. BRT is still using firmware 3.0.0.4.380._6723 while the rest of Asus models are using
3.0.0.4.380._7266 build.

It was released in Feb 2017 in Asia and the unit I have for testing is the retail version from Asus Malaysia and they not sure of when it will be available in the U.S.