What's new

Budget Router for covering 2200 sqft apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Iclark31

New Around Here
I am looking for router to cover 2200 sqft apartment. My budget is not more than $40. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

I don't think any single router will cover that size apartment... Not well anyway.

With that budget I'd look on Ebay for a used modem AC router...

While risky, you may have to either search for a used netgear R7000 or other high transmit power router.

If performance is not much of a concern, (e.g., no streaming), and if you already have the place wired for Ethernet, then you could cheap out and get 4-5 of those n150 travel routers, and put them in AP mode.

PS, in a $40 price range, it will be hard to find a router that will do better than what your ISP may provide for free (assuming your ISP is not charging a rental fee).

With that low budget: go for 1-2 used routers - either from Asus or Netgear (at least one to be used as AP - Access Points) where you install actual firmware (open source available?). With the actual firmware you can still have a good (and secure) solution.

For the AP solution you need a cable from the main router (1st device or ISP router) to the APs - distribute the devices equally across the flat.

PS.: For an Asus router I would suggest John's fork firmware - which gives you the list of potential router types to buy - a N66U would by the best choice in respect of range, but hard to get below 50 bucks.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that there aren't any router thats gonna cover whole 2200 sqft apartment but I think it's gonna be more costly if you want to buy just one single router. You better buy two cheap router two cover the whole floor.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!