What's new

budget router for openvpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KW.

Regular Contributor
Here I am again.

Todays question:)

A young man have left home and got his small apartment. I figured I would help him out getting a decent router for a limited budget.
My only really demand is that it have a good output for openvpn on 100mbit connection. I am limited to the second hand market as I think i get more for the budget there?.

For the record my router of choice is the netgear 7800 for the simple reason I know @Voxel and @kamoj made that router great and I many times seen it for the max price I am willing to spend about 70-90 euro. Sadly I cant find that router now.

What I found in that price range is asus Asus rt-ac87u (70 euro). How is that router with openvpn?

Its a "kid" so I think numbers matters some on the speed output and I and I really want him to have the vpn on the router so he cant be sloppy with using it.

No to the RT-AC87U.

Not just for the VPN speed hit, but too many other issues too.

Reactions: KW.
Thank you, I will delay it some time now. Need to find something to middle next week.

So on Asus side what is acceptable?

RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1(both have same hardware with different case. The AC66U_B1 is clocked a bit faster). Can be found for $120 or less. A better performer is the AC86U for around $180.

Last edited:
oh thought those were inferior due to naming? The AC86U will be a netgear 7800 if i need to go that road...

I seem to be able to find a Asus RT-AC66U B1 for about 50 or even 40 euro. How is that one doing on openvpn client connections?

To be happy I would like to so about 70 mbit from the router with vpn.

Last edited:
well.... found a good deal on AC86U for about 120 dollar. What do they say you get 10 times back dont you?...

What about the AX56U or AC1900? I'm happy with both models. (AC1900 might be AC68U in your market)

Reactions: KW.