What's new

Buffalo consumer routers - any good? Or alternatives w/focus on security & updates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dub_it

New Around Here
I have an old (probably 2015) Buffalo AirStation WXR-1900DHP laying around, but noticed the company has only provided 1 firmware update since it came out, and that one dates back to 2016. I would like something that is as secure as possible for a home (consumer grade) router, and wondering if there are any thoughts out there. I don't know much about these, but I'm not particularly impressed with only 1 firmware update - wondering if I flashed OpenWRT, would that likely make it more secure? Otherwise, any other brands / models of routers out there I should consider for always keeping up on security & patches?

Asus RT-AX86U is popular here. See the latest firmware updates and the frequency:

Buffalo + Router? Never thought they got into the networking market in the first place and would probably be the last name to look for in networking. They do offer some decent prices but durability isn't there for long term use on their products.

Firmware = software bugs

If your concern is security then don't allow remote access to keep all of the ports closed on the WAN side.

Consumer / popular options are usually riddled with bugs and issues though. Stepping up to a SMB type device is more stable because businesses won't put up with the antics on consumer devices.

@Tech9 has some Omada and other recommendations though. I would be looking for something that doesn't show up in the likes of Walmart / Best Buy / etc. Once you get away from the traditional retailers you get a better quality device typically. Also, those same retailers carry performance gear for power users like some of us around here that don't settle for generic heaps of junk.

If you want more control and security though you should consider making your own device out of common parts and configuring the firewall with a few simple entries.

Code:
-A INPUT -j PERMIT-IN
-A FORWARD -j PERMIT-FWD
-A OUTPUT -j PERMIT-OUT
-A PERMIT-FWD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-FWD -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-FWD -j DROP
-A PERMIT-IN -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -i br0 -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -j DROP
-A PERMIT-OUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -o br0 -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -j DROP
This is all I have in my filtering and unless it originates from the LAN it doesn't come back into the network from the outside. Most of the networking gear will use something similar but their macros clog up the entries with odd looking rules. A little bit of studying of homebrew setups goes a long way in protecting your own network and also not spending 2-3X the money on junk that's setup to fail when the warranty expires. With this approach you can take the OS drive to a new system if you want and update as frequently as you want by updating the kernel and underlying packages as needed. If you go with a decent CPU you can even get line rate VPN speeds using wire guard unlike the prepackaged off the shelf options that top out at 500mbps due to the lack of HW resources.

Using a WRT is a better idea in some cases compared to the OEM OS due to it being more current in terms of the packages being used. The issue remains tough that they tend to use older kernel versions though that might still be a security risk depending on how you setup the device. Using a router though from 2015 is going to be your biggest bottleneck when it comes to performance / speeds.

For under $200 you could turn a SFF PC into a router w/ Linux as the OS and then pick an AP for another $150 and get better results than consumer gear. It's not as simple as point and click with a pretty GUI but, once you set it up you don't need to do much to reconfigure things unless you want to. If you have an idea of what you want to do you just hit google for answers as someone else has probably posted the answer on a blog somewhere.

Buffalo + Router? Never thought they got into the networking market

Really? Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is classic.

1665567565837.png

Buffalo + Router? Never thought they got into the networking market in the first place and would probably be the last name to look for in networking. They do offer some decent prices but durability isn't there for long term use on their products.
At one point, they were the #1 consumer router maker in Japan. Don't know if that still is the case, however. Their user interface wasn't the best, but product performance was pretty good.

Thanks, guys. @Tech Junky I'm not that proficient yet, but I like the idea of learning how to do what you just described. Otherwise, in the meantime, a SMB type router like you mentioned sounds like a better option for me in the immediate moment. @Tech9 are there others you like besides the Omada?

At one point, they were the #1 consumer router maker in Japan. Don't know if that still is the case, however. Their user interface wasn't the best, but product performance was pretty good.
Didn't catch on in the US as I don't recall ever seeing them.

I equate that to this POS

No, the router on picture is still supported by FreshTomato firmware in 2022. This model was the one everyone wanted back then.

@Tech9 are there others you like besides the Omada?

I don't have any Omada networks in use, but when I tested one setup last year it turned out to be better than UniFi of the same class.

still supported by FreshTomato firmware in 2022.
That's just nostalgia. a G router shouldn't be in use these days but, some people just don't give up on their old gear and slow speeds. I doubt it's anyone from the depression era hanging around using them till they die. This sort of notion slows down progress trying to get the herd to move forward.

For someone with experience in networking knowing nothing about Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is equal to asking what Linksys WRT54G is. Just strange.
I know what a Linksys is and had one back in the day. I can't even recall when I had it since there's been so much advancement since then and that thing was a POS too.

and that thing was a POS too.

That specific thing was also one of the most popular models and perhaps the router with the most hardware revisions and variations in history of AIO home routers. It was manufactured for many years and in many millions. You have obviously missed some things in home networking.

Buffalo released an AX6000 router with two 10Gbe ports in 2021. Same Qualcomm quad-are 2.2Ghz chipset as the Asus RT-AX89X I believe. Unfortunately, it seems to be mainly for their domestic market.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08SQ9NFN3/

TP-Link's pulled similar stunts with higher specced AX and AXE routers sold in their own domestic market since 2021 and not in the US or anywhere else...until recently.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCWBCY34/?tag=snbforums-20

Buffalo (Melco) was sued to the ends of the earth by the Australian CSRIO for patent infringement on certain WLAN patents, which seriously impacted their US market opportunities...

It's well made gear... they were big in the home Japanese market back in the day.

IIRC - most of their WiFi firmware was built around DD-WRT