What's new

Buffalo Draft 802.11ac Router and Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least a "first look" should be up tomorrow. I have both the router and bridge on the bench and that's how draft 11ac performance tests will be done.

Tim, look forward to the preview.

Would also be cool to see if the 802.11ac 5Ghz radio can help 802.11n 5Ghz range and throughput at further distance. Hope you eventually test that scenario as well.

5gh

Like claykin said please test the 5ghz .n performamnce also . I need a new router and wouldnt mind buying a 802.11ac pre router if it beefs up 802.11n performance

Howdy,

I would like to applaud Buffalo with this release.

Buffalo shipped products to smallnetbuilder.com for review

Buffalo has filled the supply channel with product

Buffalo has made the news with being the first to market.

Buffalo 802.11ac products.

Yippee :)

Last edited:
claykin, you should know better... :)

11ac is focused on more throughput, which it achieves primarily by bonding together more channels.

It implements a more standardized form of beamforming, which can help improve receive sensitivity. But it must be implemented at both ends of the connection. So you possibly get a bit more range only with 11ac clients talking to 11ac routers.

Yes, I will test N clients on both 2.4 and 5 GHz with the router. But, again, just as three-stream N doesn't do anything to improve performance of two stream N clients, I don't expect a draft 11ac router to provide any improvement for non draft 11ac clients.

claykin, you should know better... :)

11ac is focused on more throughput, which it achieves primarily by bonding together more channels.

It implements a more standardized form of beamforming, which can help improve receive sensitivity. But it must be implemented at both ends of the connection. So you possibly get a bit more range only with 11ac clients talking to 11ac routers.

Yes, I will test N clients on both 2.4 and 5 GHz with the router. But, again, just as three-stream N doesn't do anything to improve performance of two stream N clients, I don't expect a draft 11ac router to provide any improvement for non draft 11ac clients.

It could still have a better effect on the distance and throughput on 802.11n mode. they could be using better antennas, better chipset. Things like that. Otherwise different .11n routers would all get the same results in distance and throughput tests.

It could still have a better effect on the distance and throughput on 802.11n mode. they could be using better antennas, better chipset. Things like that. Otherwise different .11n routers would all get the same results in distance and throughput tests.
I have reviewed a lot of routers. They all promise huge advances in performance. But I have yet to see a product that is significantly better in all modes and directions than another. The Charts will bear me out on this.

Tim

I know better, but one can hope. :rolleyes:

Now, get back to work and finish up that Buffalo preview. Its 7:20p and its still not posted. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!