What's new

Buffalo Unleashes Faster LinkStations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
I think this is the new chip that contains inside the new Linkstation. I haven't seen any other NAS using it yet, i suspect the recent announced WD MyBook NAS is using it, if you have seen others please post here.

The quoted performance for 1.6Ghz is around 76MB/s, which is much lower then expected given its 33% clock speed increase

Previous 1.2Ghz Kirkwood managed 75 +MB/s Read on Qnap. 33% performance
increase should roughly be 100MB/s Read, which is similar to what WD advertise.

The Marvell Armada 310 series also includes a 2Ghz version - 88F6282.
Hopefully these will get pushed out much quicker to combat the competition from Intel Atom NAS. So we could enjoy High Speed NAS with lower power.

I'm strongly considering buying either the WD or the Buffalo.

Unfortunately no one seems to have the WD 2 TB in stock. 1 TB is already at Best Buy and Staples.

Previous 1.2Ghz Kirkwood managed 75 +MB/s Read on Qnap.
How did you measure that? Our tests showed write / read in the 60 MB/s range with 1.2 GHz 88F6821 Kirkwoods on QNAP, Synology and other NASes.

Opps, i didn't check with Smallnetbuilder's review. ( Mainly because i have been having rendering problem with Firefox on this site )

I got the Data direct from Qnap FTP speed reading.
Would that means WD is already using 2Ghz Marvell chip?

Opps, i didn't check with Smallnetbuilder's review. ( Mainly because i have been having rendering problem with Firefox on this site )

I got the Data direct from Qnap FTP speed reading.
Would that means WD is already using 2Ghz Marvell chip?
FTP will usually provide higher throughput results than SMB file transfer.
I'll find out what both the WD and Buffalo are using when I review them shortly.

What rendering problem are you having? I use FF / Windows and am not having any problems.

I am using Firefox Beta, so i will have to test it further before i make a conclusion.

Does anybody else think that there is a price mistake here? $269.99 for the 2 TB (LS-QV2.0TL/R5) seems awful cheap. I'm hoping that this turns out to be correct as it would be a price breakthrough for a quad drive RAID 5 NAS.

Does anybody else think that there is a price mistake here? $269.99 for the 2 TB (LS-QV2.0TL/R5) seems awful cheap. I'm hoping that this turns out to be correct as it would be a price breakthrough for a quad drive RAID 5 NAS.
Yep. Looks like pricing is more like $469.99. I've updated the article. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!