What's new

[Bug] Aimesh backhaul "no uplink" UI bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hitwomanforrent

New Around Here
Upon upgrading to Asuswrt Merlin 388.1, there seems to be a visual bug on the web interface showing Ethernet backhaul as lacking connection, when the link appears to function as normal. I'm using two RT-AX86U's, one as a node, both running 388.1, on "Ethernet Backhaul Mode." This appears to simply be a UI problem, and I've not encountered problems connecting to the node on clients, nor does there seem to be any impact on speed.

Attachments

• Asuswrt Merlin Bug.png
    Asuswrt Merlin Bug.png
    280 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
A quick search using the Better Search option at the top of the page would have shown this to be reported many times already.

My apologies, I did try to search for it beforehand. You don't have to be rude.
Welcome to these forums. Best not to take comments personally here - a tough skin is required ;).
On my RT-AX86U - I have reverted to Merlinware version 386.5_2 - by far the most stable firmware for this particular router.

However - if you want to continue with 388.1 and all its quirkiness on the RT-AX86U - my suggestion is to run Asus stock firmware on the RT-AX86U being used as a Node while you run 388.1 on the main router only.

Incidentally - that webui message showing no connection is more than just cosmetic - you will likely find after time that some of your devices linked to that node will lose internet connectivity altogether.

On my RT-AX86U - I have reverted to Merlinware version 386.5_2

Confirming 386.5_2 as the better choice before someone accuses @kernol of imagining things. If you want maximum stable AiMesh system with setup process as described by Asus - stock Asuswrt on router and nodes. RT-AX86U good Wi-Fi performance firmware - Asuswrt 386_49599.

It would be SUCH a treat if the final edition of Merlinware under the 386 platform for the RT-AX86U could be compiled with asuswrt 386_49599 merged into the mix. It's a popular router for good reason - but has had more than its fair share of quirkiness under various Asus stock firmware offerings - which of course find their way into RMerlin's efforts via "closed source" components over which he has no control.

Wishful thinking I know :rolleyes:.

The only weaker Wi-Fi Asuswrt firmware I know about was 386_49447 and Asus fixed it quickly with 386_49599 release. The older 386_46061 is also good (Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2) and some say it has more stable 160MHz wide channel. I can't confirm this though. Wi-Fi environment specific. I'm on Pearson International flight path, 1200 flights a day - no good DFS channels here.

Last edited:
Welcome to these forums. Best not to take comments personally here - a tough skin is required ;).
On my RT-AX86U - I have reverted to Merlinware version 386.5_2 - by far the most stable firmware for this particular router.

However - if you want to continue with 388.1 and all its quirkiness on the RT-AX86U - my suggestion is to run Asus stock firmware on the RT-AX86U being used as a Node while you run 388.1 on the main router only.

Incidentally - that webui message showing no connection is more than just cosmetic - you will likely find after time that some of your devices linked to that node will lose internet connectivity altogether.
Encountered the same issue when I upgraded my main RT-AX89X router and two GT-AXE11000 AiMesh nodes to the latest stock firmware a month ago and resolved it similar to the way you described. So the latest stock 386 firmware on the main router and downgraded both AiMesh nodes to the previous stock 388 firmware. Asus Tech Support suspected it was a compatibility issue between 386 and 388 firmware versions but I pointed out that the previous 388 firmware on the AiMesh nodes worked fine with the main router's latest and previous 386 firmware versions. So as they say, work in progress.

My apologies, I did try to search for it beforehand. You don't have to be rude.

I was not rude. I made an observation and thought possibly, you didn't see that search option.

If Better Search doesn't find posts on the topic/keywords you're looking for, then searching in your search engine of choice with snbforums.com appended at the end, may have.

I was not rude. I made an observation and thought possibly, you didn't see that search option.

If Better Search doesn't find posts on the topic/keywords you're looking for, then searching in your search engine of choice with snbforums.com appended at the end, may have.
You did come off as rude, whether that was your intent or not. You implied that I didn't search for it despite the button at the top of the page, and then said it's been reported "many times already".

Just say that it's a known issue next time.

That's your opinion. I told you that wasn't my intent. But go ahead and misrepresent reality to conform to your view.

I, like most on the forums here, don't wait all day to find a post to respond to. I had time to give that one sentence response, which I did.

Make of the help offered what you will.

Might be addressed with the latest ASUS FW ?

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709
Version 3.0.0.4.388.21709 70.84 MB
1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability.
2. Fixed USB HDD compatibility issue with the Time machine.
3. Added a new web GUI login URL http://www.asusrouter.com
4. Fixed IPTV compatibility issue with Movistar. Thanks to Sergio de Luz from RedesZone.net.
5. Fixed VPN fusion, AiMesh, and Network map GUI bugs.
6. Fixed WAN compatibility issue with Starlink router.
7. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
8. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617
9. Improved connection speed with Verizon FIOS.

Might be addressed with the latest ASUS FW ?

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709
Version 3.0.0.4.388.21709 70.84 MB
1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability.
2. Fixed USB HDD compatibility issue with the Time machine.
3. Added a new web GUI login URL http://www.asusrouter.com
4. Fixed IPTV compatibility issue with Movistar. Thanks to Sergio de Luz from RedesZone.net.
5. Fixed VPN fusion, AiMesh, and Network map GUI bugs.
6. Fixed WAN compatibility issue with Starlink router.
7. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
8. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617
9. Improved connection speed with Verizon FIOS.
I did encounter the bug on both my GT-AXE1000 AiMesh nodes with the latest stock 388 firmware and fixed it by reverting to the previous 388 version.