What's new

BUG: Bonding/ Link aggregation = br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saltyzip

Occasional Visitor
[Kit]
Router: RT-AC88U Merlin v384.17 (Wifi is completely disabled) Bonding/ Link aggregation is enabled Port 1 and Port 2, PS4 and Nvidia Shield plugged directly into router Port 3 and Port 4.
GS108Tv2: 8 Port Switch which connects to RT-AC88U via two port LAG (LACP)
GS108PEv3: POE switch that connects to GS108Tv2 via single ethernet port, runs the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO wifi and some security cameras

[Problem]
My router automatically reboots once a week using the inbuilt reboot schedule. When it reboots it unfortunately does not come back in the same working state. Firstly I end up with a considerable number of system log entries stating:

"kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

The router and GS108Tv2 show that the LAG is up and running, and everything connected to the latter is accessible and works fine, can see all cameras and Wifi works perfect too.

However everything else directly connected to the router doesn't work, so that is the PS4 and Nvidia Shield. Both report no network connection, ethernet not shown as connected no IP etc. and when I plug my laptop into a spare port, windows reports cannot connect to DHCP Server, I can't even ping the router on 192.168.1.1, yet I am plugged directly into it.

I also notice that via the Asus Tools GUI it shows the ports the PS4 and Nvidia shield are plugged into are marked as unplugged. Unplugging them and plugging them back in don't help.

So only solution to fix this issue is to switch off the router via power switch and then switch it back on again. If I do another soft reboot via the Asus GUI I will end up in the same situation.

I wish I could say the hard reboot was a 100% workaround to fixing this, there has been occasions I've had to power off the switches, reboot the router first and then power the switches back on to get everything back and no more bro log entries shown in the logs.

I also don't want to remove the automated reboot schedule, prior to introducing the LAG connection I've been using it for years without issue, as that is a security and general housekeeping routine I like to do. With the reboot being performed out of active hours, it doesn't cause any impact to a busy internet household either.

I currently assume the issue is a BUG, as a power cycle of the router is a workaround that works the majority of the time. I would however really appreciate your thoughts on this as I've been battling the problem for months. On the previous merlin version I actually managed to get it to reboot without impact for at least a few weeks, but since upgrade to latest firmware the problem is back and won't go away. I removed diversion off the router as I thought it might be a timing problem, but no change in fortune.

Any ideas how best to take this forward from here?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback and assistance.
S.

[Kit]
Router: RT-AC88U Merlin v384.17 (Wifi is completely disabled) Bonding/ Link aggregation is enabled Port 1 and Port 2, PS4 and Nvidia Shield plugged directly into router Port 3 and Port 4.
GS108Tv2: 8 Port Switch which connects to RT-AC88U via two port LAG (LACP)
GS108PEv3: POE switch that connects to GS108Tv2 via single ethernet port, runs the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO wifi and some security cameras

[Problem]
My router automatically reboots once a week using the inbuilt reboot schedule. When it reboots it unfortunately does not come back in the same working state. Firstly I end up with a considerable number of system log entries stating:

"kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

The router and GS108Tv2 show that the LAG is up and running, and everything connected to the latter is accessible and works fine, can see all cameras and Wifi works perfect too.

However everything else directly connected to the router doesn't work, so that is the PS4 and Nvidia Shield. Both report no network connection, ethernet not shown as connected no IP etc. and when I plug my laptop into a spare port, windows reports cannot connect to DHCP Server, I can't even ping the router on 192.168.1.1, yet I am plugged directly into it.

I also notice that via the Asus Tools GUI it shows the ports the PS4 and Nvidia shield are plugged into are marked as unplugged. Unplugging them and plugging them back in don't help.

So only solution to fix this issue is to switch off the router via power switch and then switch it back on again. If I do another soft reboot via the Asus GUI I will end up in the same situation.

I wish I could say the hard reboot was a 100% workaround to fixing this, there has been occasions I've had to power off the switches, reboot the router first and then power the switches back on to get everything back and no more bro log entries shown in the logs.

I also don't want to remove the automated reboot schedule, prior to introducing the LAG connection I've been using it for years without issue, as that is a security and general housekeeping routine I like to do. With the reboot being performed out of active hours, it doesn't cause any impact to a busy internet household either.

I currently assume the issue is a BUG, as a power cycle of the router is a workaround that works the majority of the time. I would however really appreciate your thoughts on this as I've been battling the problem for months. On the previous merlin version I actually managed to get it to reboot without impact for at least a few weeks, but since upgrade to latest firmware the problem is back and won't go away. I removed diversion off the router as I thought it might be a timing problem, but no change in fortune.

Any ideas how best to take this forward from here?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback and assistance.
S.
I had something similar with RT86U and Synology NAS. NAS configured with interface bonding connected to 2 separate LAN ports on my router. Don’t do it. Had many issues with this config. Broadcom does not play well with interface bonding.
Once I reconfigured my NAS interface and got rid of this everything works properly.
Issues I experienced
1. Router would periodically downgrade on these ports from 1GB to 100MBS when using QoS
2. Plugging additional devices to port 3 would also downgrade speed to 100MBS on that port

at the end I decided not to use Synology bonding and all is very stable right now.