What's new

bug report 380.68_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PowerChaos

Regular Contributor
hi,
my modem is running in repeater mode
after this update i got some extra options in that mode ( not sure if i should have them , anyway )

now the bug i got
if i go to the wireless tab i can choose betwean 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
basic is it on the 5Ghz tab
if i switch it to the 2.4Ghz tab , the page keeps refressing ( apply.cgi ?? ) and get in a infinite loop
i needed to stop the browser refresh to select again the 5Ghz to stop the loop

can you check this please , if it is just a repeater mode bug or a general bug

please note , i tested this out on google chrome , i used the normal mode and the incognito mode for this bug testing

Greets From PowerChaos

model = AC88U

When you upgraded did you reset to factory defaults after the upgrade. You should then reconfig manually meaning don't import anything to setup your repeater.

no , i did not perform a reset at this point
as i came from 380.66 to 380.68
also in repeater mode there are no settings possible ( nas/firewall/qos and all those nice stuff are disabled ) only lan/wifi settings (atleast at version 380.66 )
so not sure what a reset will reset except for my lan/wifi settings
unless a upgraded firmware automatic put it back in router mode and create a bug so it stays in repeater mode with router interface ?

if possible i also try to avoid a reset unless it is needed (as i got no direct access to the internet modem , also reason why i use repeater mode )
all other things are still working ( 2 wireless networks , 2.4ghz and 5ghz , fixed ip on lan) and it is still connected to the router as repeater

Greets From PowerChaos

no , i did not perform a reset at this point
as i came from 380.66 to 380.68
also in repeater mode there are no settings possible ( nas/firewall/qos and all those nice stuff are disabled ) only lan/wifi settings (atleast at version 380.66 )
so not sure what a reset will reset except for my lan/wifi settings
unless a upgraded firmware automatic put it back in router mode and create a bug so it stays in repeater mode with router interface ?

if possible i also try to avoid a reset unless it is needed (as i got no direct access to the internet modem , also reason why i use repeater mode )
all other things are still working ( 2 wireless networks , 2.4ghz and 5ghz , fixed ip on lan) and it is still connected to the router as repeater

Greets From PowerChaos
Usually some strange anomalies can be fixed with a reset. I had one but I'm in router mode. I would click on the ddns tab and an error would display. When I reset and rebooted and configured manually now I'm back to stable and ddns works like a charm.

also clear your browsers cache (all of it), many UI changes.
i used incognito mode , so it doesn't store any cach xd

Usually some strange anomalies can be fixed with a reset. I had one but I'm in router mode. I would click on the ddns tab and an error would display. When I reset and rebooted and configured manually now I'm back to stable and ddns works like a charm.

in my case it doesn't break anything, as everything is still working like it need to be ( apart from that wifi tab xD )

let me try a reset and see what it says then , maybe it is solved by a simple reset and is this a unneeded bug report xD

Greets From PowerChaos

i just dit a reset of the router
and a fresh manual setup
i still see the same page , and also the same bug

here is a screenshot :D
24gbug.png

Greets From PowerChaos

yes , but switching it to 2.4ghz cause a infinite page reload loop ( keeps sending me to apply.cgi and then back to that page and repeat the same )
also it shows on the 2.4ghz page the name of the router i am repeating from ( from the glimpse i could see )

if i put it on 5ghz it is fine , but 2.4 cause a loop where i cant take a screenshot off , only a video if you like ?

also why do i have Qos/Firewall/Gameboost/VPN and all those other "router" settings on repeater mode ?
no idea if they work , but the Qos page does not show any info at all :p ( the statics i mean ) , at least from my understanding it should not work as the router is just acting as a client/switch

so far i read the info on the selection page of the operating mode , it says there that dhcp/firewall/nat should be disabled when in repeater mode ... clearly not the case ( as you can see on screenshot)

Greets from PowerChaos

here is a video
it will say more then just the info i can provide
it also shows the bug i mean :D

below link is the video in a player and index file so it can be played in the browser ( chrome ) or downloaded from the alternative link ( same as attachment )
https://powerchaos.info/asus/

as i can not attach it as attachment
Greets From PowerChaos

Something is wrong with your webui, you are showing a whole bunch of tabs that do not exist in Repeater Mode. Looks to me you are running from an (invalid) copy of the webui instead of the router's actual webui content. If you are using a www copy for the NTP addon, you have to update your setup.

i used a fresh download from the website, updated it on the system tab , and dit a reset and fresh install
on 380.66 i was in repeater mode , downloaded the 380.68 firmware from the download link (popup ) and i downloaded this zip file RT-AC88U_380.68_0.zip ( from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d11y4s1h0yrin/RT-AC88U )
and i extracted below file from it
RT-AC88U_380.68_0.trx

then just the regular update steps ( normal no reset is needed for minor update ? ) , update went well and i suddenly got all those options

what exactly do you mean with the www copy for the ntp addon ?
i only use the provided files , no custom addons or edits are made

i could try to flash back to the original asus and repeat the update again ? but no idea if that would fix it
i updated from version 380.66 to 380.68
but on 380.66 was everything fine ( few settings for repeater mode )

should i re download a fresh copy of the firmware or try to restore it back to original asus and re apply the update ?

Greets From PowerChaos

i just performed the original asus firmware update
see screenshots for the difference , no reset is done , just 2 differend firmware flashes
you can see that on the original the gaming mode is still enabled ( because i dit not reset ) but the interface looks like it need to look
as soon i flash back to the 380.68 version it is back messed up

Original Asus firmware ( latest ) flashed over the merlin version with out any reset (you can see the gaming mode is still on so old settings are still active )
originalasus.png

flashed from this version to the merlin version ( fresh download )
originalasusupgrade.png

no reset or anything else is done , and as you can see this version goes buggy ( for the interface )
i wonder if some one else got this to ?

Greets From PowerChaos

i just performed the original asus firmware update
see screenshots for the difference , no reset is done , just 2 differend firmware flashes
you can see that on the original the gaming mode is still enabled ( because i dit not reset ) but the interface looks like it need to look
as soon i flash back to the 380.68 version it is back messed up

Original Asus firmware ( latest ) flashed over the merlin version with out any reset (you can see the gaming mode is still on so old settings are still active )
View attachment 10167
flashed from this version to the merlin version ( fresh download )
View attachment 10166
no reset or anything else is done , and as you can see this version goes buggy ( for the interface )
i wonder if some one else got this to ?

Greets From PowerChaos
Not sure if this has been suggested, by try changing to router mode and back to repeater?

I guess that would make no difference as it puts itself in router mode after a reset. So it need to switch already to repeater mode to get it working xd. Also normal firmware shows the normal layout with out switching mode/reset xd
I could try it but will be for tomorow as I go to sleep now ( no pic acces until tomorow)

Greets from PowerChaos

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I guess that would make no difference as it puts itself in router mode after a reset. So it need to switch already to repeater mode to get it working xd. Also normal firmware shows the normal layout with out switching mode/reset xd
I could try it but will be for tomorow as I go to sleep now ( no pic acces until tomorow)

Greets from PowerChaos

I figured reset would have done it, but since this seems to be a quirky problem im trying quirky suggestions!

For me it just seems like a ui bug. Probably some code that got missing or is not acting like it need to be ? Theme switch based on mode or so
As it does work in 380.66. I never tried 380.67 so I can't say if there the problem started or not.

Greets from PowerChaos

update
tested out version 380.67 now and this bug does not Exist

so in short , it is realy a user interface bug in the latest version

@RMerlin
can you check your code please and see where it went wrong ?
as it is definaly a ui bug that only exist in this version , as other versions are doing fine
maybe some code got a little messed up by changing all the icons ?

See screenshot of version 67 (no reset done , so there are some icons that shoulnd be there like the gaming mode )
asus38067.png

Greets From PowerChaos