What's new

Build 3.0.0.4.220.17 are out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
After a crazy week of fighting, I finally managed to generate working builds of Asuswrt-Merlin based on 3.0.0.4.220. :)

Getting there ended up being much more complicated than usual. What usually takes me about one evening of work (re-basing my work on a new firmware version) took me the whole week. The list of fun things I had to deal with:

• Missing closed-source files (obtained from the Asus firmware release)
  • Broken build system for AiCloud components (was the first time I tried to compile them)
  • Resulting build bricking the RT-N66U (caused by DualWAN - disabled it)
  • AiCloud server failing to start (two closed-source modules not getting included by the build system)
  • AiCloud serverr crashing (the two modules from the GPL archive are broken - replaced with copies from the firmware release)
  • RT-AC66U now is bricking (Disabled the BeceeEm module)
  • More random build system issues (which I worked around for the time being as I can't track them down)

The sad part of this is, most of these were delaying me not because I had to debug the code, but because I had to debug the build system itself. I hate that whole autoconf/automake/ system *IX software are using these days. Use the wrong version of one of these tools, and everything breaks. And since I don't know much about how these works, I ended up doing a few acrobatics to work around them for the time being.

So here they are, for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U (RT-N16 will have to wait until when I get the build system back in order). These bring AiCloud, fixes to the last few issues reported with OpenVPN (which now makes its first non-beta debut), and an additional long asked-for feature (displaying speed and rssi of connected wifi clients).

DualWAN is currently disabled in these builds, as it's broken in build 220, resulting in soft bricked routers. This kind of things has to be expected with experimental (unfinished) features. It will hopefully be back in a future release once it gets fixed.

For now these are only available on Github. I will repost them on my website as well in a day or two.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Great! Good news!

Is it GRO disabled?

Yes, GRO has been disabled in my build since 144.10 for N66U and 178.16 for AC66U.

Changelog since the last non-beta release:

3.0.0.4.220.17:
- NEW: Rebased on 3.0.0.4.220, which includes:
* Fixes to IPv6 6rd
* Fixes to AC66U Wifi + QoS
* AiCloud
* Interference mode once again enabled
- NEW: Display last received rate and rssi for each clients on Wireless Log page.
- FIXED: dnsmasq not listening to DNS requests from OpenVPN clients if you had just enabled the option on the webui.
- FIXED: PPTP clients not always showing on VPN Status page.
- CHANGED: Disabled DualWAN as it's currently broken in 220.
- CHANGED: Disabled Beceem Wimax support in RT-AC66U as it bricks the router.
- CHANGED: Removed firmware update checker to avoid accidental revert to original FW.

3.0.0.3.178.16 Beta:
- NEW: (RT-N66U, RT-AC66U) Implemented OpenVPN, based on code written by
Keith Moyer (from the Tomato project).
- NEW: Added crontab command
- FIXED: (RT-AC66U) Would crash when accessing a LAN device through either VPN or the NAT Loopback (GRO is now disabled for that device)
- FIXED: dnsmasq was listening to all interfaces by default, allowing even dhcp requests to be serviced from the wan side if you had the firewall disabled (Asus bug) (fixed by dev0id)
- FIXED: Default disk idle spindown now set to 0 (disabled).
- FIXED: Corrupted WOL list when using IE.
- CHANGED: Upgraded openssl to 1.0.0j.
- CHANGED: Included fully functional openssl command (will allow you to create keypairs and certificates from the router).
- CHANGED: Removed power adjustments from the Performance page, as they are redundant, and not as reliable.
- CHANGED: (RT-N16) Disabled Dual WAN, as it exhibited many issues, and I am unable to work on them without an actual router.

Once again, thanks for your efforts here - keeping a track of your Twitter postings of the last week, I can appreciate some of the problems that you have encountered.

I'm admiring your constitution, Eric! You must have been working day and night to finish that Sisyphus-like task...

Thanks for not giving up... I appreciate your work very much indeed.

Just want to say thanks for your work, havent upgraded yet but your 178.16 have been running smoothly since the day i bought the rt-ac66u

Being a dd-wrt user for the last 9-10'ish years, it was hard to imagine not running dd-wrt, but since development seems stalled/slow on new high-end routers and the 64k nvram havent been solved completely, im running the rt-ac66u on merlin-build and a 5ghz client rt-n66u with shibby/tomato-usb...and
4-5 2.4ghz wrt54gl ddwrt-clients around the house, everything is rock solid :D

edit:
just updated to 220-17 from work through a vpn connection

where do i find the 'displaying speed and rssi of connected wifi clients' ?

Last edited:
Thanks Eric for your work... I must say that this is the only one FW for RT-N66U,
IMHO even much better than TomatoUSB

Keep up your good work !
Greetings from openlinksys.info community ! :)

Qos

Merlin

Is QOS FIXED on the stock .220 as well as your .220 Beta for the
RT-N66U??????

CC

How is the WAN to LAN speed on this firmware? Exactly the same as the original ASUS firmware?

I want to try it out but I really need to be able to use at least 800Mbit/s down and 100Mbit/s up.

How is the WAN to LAN speed on this firmware? Exactly the same as the original ASUS firmware?

I want to try it out but I really need to be able to use at least 800Mbit/s down and 100Mbit/s up.

Should be the same, except maybe when using file sharing with a plugged USB disk. So just keep QoS disabled, that will ensure that the CTF module gets used, for optimal performance (same restriction applies to the original firmware).

Should be the same, except maybe when using file sharing with a plugged USB disk. So just keep QoS disabled, that will ensure that the CTF module gets used, for optimal performance (same restriction applies to the original firmware).

Anyone has a clue what is the difference between Merlin fw and for an example tomatousb in wan speed?

Galaxy S3 i Tapatalk

Qos

Well I already saw that:

Fixes to AC66U Wifi + QoS

I am asking about the RTN-66U not the AC66U. Am I missing something?

CC

Well I already saw that:

Fixes to AC66U Wifi + QoS

I am asking about the RTN-66U not the AC66U. Am I missing something?

CC

I'm not aware of any QoS issue with the RT-N66U.

Qos

In the last official (.178) if you have a wired connection and have QOS enabled it slows down the wirless clients online gaming. As soon as I disable it, all is well.

CC

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!