What's new

Built-in TRIM support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Limpi

Occasional Visitor
Hey!

Is it planned to add built-in TRIM support to Asuswrt-Merlin?

(I found a solution to make TRIM work here:
But I am not familiar with linux systems, so this is a little too pro for me. :))

Merlin could detect automatically if a TRIM capable SATA SSD is attached
(in my specific case it would be a Patriot Burst Elite 1.92TB SSD in an Axagon EE25-XA6 rack) and could make a button available on the GUI to manually run fstrim on it. Or maybe even create an option to run it scheduled...

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Asuswrt-Merlin is an alternative, customized version of that firmware. Developed by Eric Sauvageau, its primary goals are to enhance the existing firmware without bringing any radical changes, <............> New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities for this project.

Last edited:

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Oh, I see... :(

Should I ask ASUS to impelement TRIM support then?

Do you think they will do it?

Okay, thanks!

Most modern SSDs will do decent garbage collection and keep themselves clean. Trim is a way to expedite that but I highly doubt Asus will consider this a priority (or consider it at all). Best bet is to follow the guide posted and create a script to do it for you every so often, if you want it.

Most modern SSDs will do decent garbage collection and keep themselves clean. Trim is a way to expedite that but I highly doubt Asus will consider this a priority (or consider it at all). Best bet is to follow the guide posted and create a script to do it for you every so often, if you want it.

Thanks!
You mean also SSDs with SATA interface? So "TRIM support" is only an extra feature and TRIM is not really needed anymore? I tought it can help to extend the lifespan of the drive.

Thanks!
You mean also SSDs with SATA interface? So "TRIM support" is only an extra feature and TRIM is not really needed anymore? I tought it can help to extend the lifespan of the drive.

TRIM support is definitely good to have as it is more efficient and causes less writes than native garbage collection (which all SSDs have always had) but if you aren't doing tons of reads and writes it probably won't make much difference. Modern drives have much improved the garbage collection too to reduce write amplification. So yes TRIM is better but I wouldn't worry too much about not having it. If you regularly fill the drive to over 80% or do lots of deleting files it would be worth looking into a script to run TRIM every so often.

TRIM support is definitely good to have as it is more efficient and causes less writes than native garbage collection (which all SSDs have always had) but if you aren't doing tons of reads and writes it probably won't make much difference. Modern drives have much improved the garbage collection too to reduce write amplification. So yes TRIM is better but I wouldn't worry too much about not having it. If you regularly fill the drive to over 80% or do lots of deleting files it would be worth looking into a script to run TRIM every so often.

One can do as we used to and make the data partition 80% of capacity so there are always some clean blocks to use for garbage collection on a drive experiencing a lot of changes (writes).

One can do as we used to and make the data partition 80% of capacity so there are always some clean blocks to use for garbage collection on a drive experiencing a lot of changes (writes).

You don't need to partition it to 80%. Simply not filling the drive beyond 80% accomplishes the same thing.

However garbage collection is not as good as TRIM, so if you can get TRIM working, that is preferable, however in this scenario I don't think it will make much difference or is anything to worry about.

The main issue with garbage collection is it tends to cause extra writes (write amplification) and can reduce the lifespan of the drive. But most drives supporting hundreds of TBW these days, and garbage collection algorithms being much improved, kind of a moot point.

If you were using the drive in a PC and trying to get maximum performance, TRIM can help with that (a little bit anyway) but running via USB interface, not going to matter.