What's new

Buy rt ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronorbar

Regular Contributor
Hello, I bought an ax86u on a good sale, I'm debating whether to wait and replace it with the pro model? What do you think? Is the difference significant? And will the model I bought continue to receive updates?

Is the difference significant?

It depends what your needs are. The Pro version not only has better hardware, but will have more firmware options as well.

And will the model I bought continue to receive updates?

Yes. It's one of the popular models and will receive updates. My choice for purchase in 2023 would be the Pro model though.

There are many of us who are well pleased with the AX86U (or AX86S). Merlin or Asus firmware works well. As T9 says it is what you want to spend.

Welcome to the forums @ronorbar.

The RT-AX86U is an excellent router. The best, most hardware-balanced Asus router you can buy today is the GT-AX6000 (buy only on sale).

The 'pro' is an unknown quantity today. Do you feel like gambling with your network?

The 'AX86U is only a two year old model. If history repeats itself, Asus will be supporting this model for many years to come.

Happy New Year to everyone! May 2023 bring the Joy back for each of us!

Welcome to the forums @ronorbar.

The RT-AX86U is an excellent router. The best, most hardware-balanced Asus router you can buy today is the GT-AX6000 (buy only on sale).

The 'pro' is an unknown quantity today. Do you feel like gambling with your network?

The 'AX86U is only a two year old model. If history repeats itself, Asus will be supporting this model for many years to come.

Happy New Year to everyone! May 2023 bring the Joy back for each of us!
Thanks for the answer, I'm very confused... I won't buy the ax6000 because there's no sale. Do you recommend keeping the regular ax86u or changing to the pro, which there's currently no sale on? Thank you for your answer

RT-AX86U Pro is GT-AX6000 hardware with single 2.5GbE port. If buying now - get the Pro version. Longer support expected and more firmware options.

At the moment the pro is more expensive and not available with us, I bought the regular one and I'm not sure that the price will drop in the near future. I'm debating whether to open it...

If AX86U Pro is not available yet and you need a new router - keep AX86U, of course. You have no other options anyway. This router has some firmware issues lately. Read carefully Asuswrt-Merlin and Asuswrt release threads. The latest available firmware for it is not the best one to use. Happy New Year!

With us, the ax86u costs $280 and the Pro costs $380 (including shipping and taxes), I hope the regular model will give good value over time.

Keep the one you have then. It's popular and perhaps good enough for your needs. It will get at least few more years of firmware support.

Thanks for the answer, I'm very confused... I won't buy the ax6000 because there's no sale. Do you recommend keeping the regular ax86u or changing to the pro, which there's currently no sale on? Thank you for your answer

The GT-AX6000 is the top model to get. But only when it's on sale (today's MSRP prices mean nothing).

The 'pro' is an unknown quantity. Gamble with it as you wish. Today, I can't recommend it, even if it is lower priced than the original (which has proven itself to be fast, stable, and performant).

OP's question aside, AX86U PRO kinda makes no sense from a hardware design perspective.

BCM4912 CPU natively supports integrated 2.5G WAN/LAN.

ASUS either intentionally gimped it with an add on 1GB WAN port or forced the native 2.5G wiring into 1G config... lol

The original AX86U was/is quite logical given the BCM4908 only supports a single SGMII add on (2.5G port) in addition to the integrated 1+4 1G switch config.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marketing is involved. RT-AX58U and the many similar AX3000 models make no sense with locked features, but AX5400 models based on the same hardware sell for more money. They won't give you GT-AX6000 or better equivalent for less. I wouldn't be surprised if GT-AX6000 gets just some of the Pro features just because it's not marketed as Pro model. BCM4906 based RT-AC86U/GT-AC5300 can run 388 firmware, but will never get one.

@jsz, I've been saying that from when the specs were available.

A 'pro' model needs to be head and shoulders above anything beforehand (and I don't care if it's a successor to the original model, I take the entire lineup into account when deciding what to choose/consider).

This 'pro' is akin to mag wheels on a Pinto. They both get the same performance increase.

I'm going to get one AX86U Pro later on and see what the new firmware has to offer with VLAN support. This is the major change in Pro versions and I have VLAN capable equipment to test with. Interested in VLAN support in AP Mode in particular. Will wait for more stable 388 firmware though. AX86U Pro is the cheapest Pro and good test candidate. May keep the current AX86U for side-to-side comparison.

We don't have this router available yet here in North America and performance comparison from different region has little value to you. Wi-Fi regulations in your region are different and the same model routers will perform differently.

We don't have this router available yet here in North America and performance comparison from different region has little value to you. Wi-Fi regulations in your region are different and the same model routers will perform differently.
Is it better to only buy a router that is sold in my country? and not to buy from another country?