What's new

Buying a second Asus RT-AC66U B1 will this work ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Right now we have our current Asus RT-AC66U B1 router inside used as a wireless access point basically for our AT&T 1 Gbps Fiber connected to one of the ethernet ports in the living room. The AT&T Gateway/router is in the garage (don't ask sorry) we did not want to put the Asus RT-AC66U B1 router there out of fear of it dying early or very quickly. (Yes the AT&T Gateway/router could but that is covered and the tech who installed it said it would be ok/work even during summer hot months and cold winter (So far it has for over a year now)

Now to my point sorry. If I got a second Asus RT-AC66U B1 router (or even use the current one and get a better router for the access point with at least wifi 6 maybe for inside) could I easily use it as a bypass for the AT&T Gateway/router with it in garage ? The reason I would get a second router is if it ever die because of the cold or heat it does not matter. I can fall back onto the AT&T Gateway/router. Unless this is a stupid idea ?

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks. Maybe I am making it more complicated than I should. Oh yeah btw having the spare router (Asus RT-AC66U B1 currently) in the living room helps because it is the middle/center of the house. I don't think it would work very well in the garage for a access point to be in there.

Right now we have our current Asus RT-AC66U B1 router inside used as a wireless access point basically for our AT&T 1 Gbps Fiber connected to one of the ethernet ports in the living room. The AT&T Gateway/router is in the garage (don't ask sorry) we did not want to put the Asus RT-AC66U B1 router there out of fear of it dying early or very quickly. (Yes the AT&T Gateway/router could but that is covered and the tech who installed it said it would be ok/work even during summer hot months and cold winter (So far it has for over a year now)

Now to my point sorry. If I got a second Asus RT-AC66U B1 router (or even use the current one and get a better router for the access point with at least wifi 6 maybe for inside) could I easily use it as a bypass for the AT&T Gateway/router with it in garage ? The reason I would get a second router is if it ever die because of the cold or heat it does not matter. I can fall back onto the AT&T Gateway/router. Unless this is a stupid idea ?

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks. Maybe I am making it more complicated than I should. Oh yeah btw having the spare router (Asus RT-AC66U B1 currently) in the living room helps because it is the middle/center of the house. I don't think it would work very well in the garage for a access point to be in there.

Is the garage attached or how far from the house? Type of wall construction?

What is the sq ft area of the house footprint? How many levels?

What is the extent of the installed house Ethernet cabling? Where is the cabling hub?

What is the AT&T gateway model? Does it provide TV or phone service? Do you use its WiFi from the house? Could it be moved into the house to the other end of an Ethernet cable?

I wouldn't add any equipment until you have an overall network plan for your situation.

OE