What's new

Buying advice GT-AX6000 vs GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sqrt

New Around Here
I haven't found a good direct comparison between these 2. I guess it's perhaps an odd one because the GT-AX11000 is 4 years old and the GT-AX6000 is brand new, but these 2 routers are now comparable price-wise:
Currently on Amz the 6000 is at $372 and the 11000 is at $328.

So for an extra $44 I get:
- dual band instead of tri-band
+ newer hardware and cpu
- fewer antennas lol

Are these the only differences to consider? I'm not sure how to value the newness of the hardware and cpu in this case.

I may also just fall back to an RT-AX86U which seems to be around $270 at the moment.

My needs:
- support 1.2 gigabit Comcast cable
- 2 simultaneous video calls or video streaming at any time
- lath and plaster walls, very little line of sight due to old-fashioned home layout
- 1500sqft
- good speeds on fast.com so that i feel like a champ

I use an AP to cover 1300sq ft with drywall. Maybe just get an AP to boost your coverage for ~$150 instead? I use a NWA210ax.

Otherwise @Tech9 will fill you in on Asus.

Thanks for the input!
@Tech Junky - I think an AP alone won't cut it because I'm going from using the rented comcast equipment to my own equipment (since the promo free rental is ending). So adding an AP to an existing router isn't really an option unless I dust off something perhaps a decade old.

@Tech9 doesn't use a single Asus router on any network. :)
Didn't say you did but, you do know the guts of them more intimately than I care to. The dual 2.5GE ports though would be a selling point for those not wanting to deal with a USB Ethernet dongle hanging off the back. Then again you can get it to do 5GE if the ISP speed is high enough with one or put it on the LAN side for higher LAN bandwidth to a switch or single device like a NAS.

my own equipment
That's a quick way to save $15/mo. What CM are you going with? If it's a combo I would avoid that option if at all possible though in this instance it might be useful for adding an AP at a distance to cover the remote area where you have weak signal. Provided you have Ethernet cabled already or don't mind running a cable to the AP from the router/CM. A dedicated AP will punch through some internal obstacles unlike the router/wifi options. The dedicated HW in the AP tends to be better than the combo units. With my AP though mentioned above I can hit 1.5gbps on the LAN from every corner of my place.

The alternative would be putting a cheap $50 wired router onto the CM and then use APs off that. It all depends on what you want to do and cabling of course.

What CM are you going with?
Motorola MB8611 stand-alone (hence why I’m in the market for a new router)

If it's a combo I would avoid that option if at all possible though in this instance it might be useful for adding an AP at a distance to cover the remote area where you have weak signal. Provided you have Ethernet cabled already or don't mind running a cable to the AP from the router/CM. A dedicated AP will punch through some internal obstacles unlike the router/wifi options. The dedicated HW in the AP tends to be better than the combo units. With my AP though mentioned above I can hit 1.5gbps on the LAN from every corner of my place.

The alternative would be putting a cheap $50 wired router onto the CM and then use APs off that. It all depends on what you want to do and cabling of course.
Using a single router is definitely preferred over a mesh with wired backhaul or AP with different SSID because of the wire.

Ideally I’d have a high enough powered single router to punch through walls and get high speed Wi-Fi all over the home.

With older equipment I had issues with wireless performance and coverage, but as much as I hate to admit it, the newer rented xfinity equipment has been very good at coverage, speed, and stability. It’s a combo unit.

I used the MB8600 and it worked well. Many years of service and finally dumped Comcast for T-Mobile.

Well then start with the router and if it doesn't have enough punch add an AP not mesh. Just set the channels to not overlap with the router and clients will roam between them easily.

If you pick a router with changeable antennas you can tweak things a bit more for better signal as well. That's one thing that came in handy with TMobile once you remove it from the plastic case you can mod the antennas for better signal on both the 5G and wifi. I put some shirt range antennas in the WiFi side as a backup option and rely on the AP for full coverage.

Resurrecting an older thread here. I have both the ax11000 and ax6000. My question is since I like and use Aimesh, which of the two would be best to designate as my main router, and which one for the node? Not sure if it’s a dealbreaker or not but there’s been no new firmware for the ax6000 since June 2023, the ax11000 got a new one this past December 2023.

Thanks,

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!