What's new

Buying Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TehNext

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I've been a lurker for a long time but, the time has come to speak.

I've been running an Asus RT AC68U for a few years now and felt it was time to upgrade as there's aprox 8 wireless clientsand 4 Ethernet connected devices running from it at any one time. sometimes it goes up too when friends are round.

I mainly use my PC for gaming and there's two teenagers in the house who are into PC gaming too, all three are wired connections and the 4th wired connection is a Tivo, my ISP is virgin media on a SH2AC in modem mode with 200 download and 20 upload. There's also x2 PS4, x3 Ninty Switch and x4 phones connected at any time.
I've started to feel like games are struggling a bit so I upgraded my router to an Asus AX88u but I've experienced problems with it.

I could feel games lagging out and dropping frames and knew after the third time it happened the router was going to drop its internet connection to the modem at the interface, I assume. This happened regularly and a reboot always solved it but hugely frustrating it was. All settings had been tried default, AX mode off, FW most recent and also tried Merlin's FW (which I bloody loved) with FQ_Codel but it still happened. On looking into it I couldn't seem to find anyone else on any internet forums experiencing the same thing so I assumed the unit must have developed a fault and has now been accepted for a return to the vendor.

Where do I go now? I don't actually need WiFi6/AX but thought I may as well future proof a bit whilst upgrading.

Can anyone offer some buying advice on what to buy next?
I'd considered a ubiquiti edge setup with AP's but in all honesty if I'm not home and the kids need to access something I think it'd be too much for them.
Ideally I'd love some SQM router or something that has a decent system like fq_codel or cake etc...not that I know how these things work but judging by my lurking on SNB I'd assume these are better?

Anyway, I'm very long winded now and any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
TN

----edit
apologies if this the wrong place.

Last edited:
Honestly that router is still a very capable device.

Frame drops would be a computer issue not internet. Lag would be internet.

Are the devices having issues wired or wireless? And on the 2.4 or 5GHz band?

First would start with the devices wired in and see if the issue still happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!