What's new

Buying GT-AX11000 in a deal or another one as first router for Wireguard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fantasyonly

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I’m completely new in this router world, used my provider device before but I thought it would be cheaper to buy one instead of paying a monthly fee and the provider device doesn’t support VPN, so I was searching for routers which support Wireguard, a lot of people are saying that Asus Routers are the best choice because of the software, so I thought I would try them out.

At the moment I could get the AX11000 for around 250 $, its in sale here. The AX86U is 300 $ and the AX88U is 370 $ in my region.

I would like to use the router for my 60 m2 flat, 4 lan ports would be enough for me, so I guess I wouldnt go for the AX88U.

I saw that ASUS got Wireguard support in beta, would love to use this on the router because my Apple TV doesn’t support VPN and I would like to use some other devices through VPN.

Was reading on this forum that some people don’t recommend the AX11000 because it’s not stable and the AX86U is more used. My internet speed is 500 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up, are the Asus routers able to reach that speed? What do you think will they be able to reach with Wireguard as speed?

So, would you go for the AX11000 for that price or pay more for the AX86U?

My 1 month old GT-AX11000 (A1.1) is stable with both the official and Merlin firmware but it is way overkill for a 60m2 flat. It occupies quite a bit more space than the vertical routers like AX68U & AX86U as well but what I dislike the most is the fragile and oversized antennas.