What's new

Bypass Zyxel fiber gateway with my AX58U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scajjr2

Regular Contributor
Got Consolidated Communications 1Gb fiber installed yesterday (SE NH). Equipment installed is an Adtran 622v-XGS-PON ONT and a Zyxel VMG4927-B50A gateway. Tech said before install that yes I could directly connect the ONT to the AX58U, but then did the install with the Zyxel saying it needed to be there to connect. It seems to be a PPPoE connection. We have 5 AX wifi devices, the Zyxel is only AC and the box to separate the 2 & 5 ghz bands to different SSIDs is greyed out in the Zyxel menu so everything seems to go to the 2.4 band on the Zyxel.

I tried this morning connecting the ONT direct to the Asus. It auto detected the connection (PPPoE), my username & password showed correctly w/o me having to put it in (stored in the ONT? CC sees the ONT when anything connects to it?), shows an internet connection. My computer showed it connected to the internet but every web page timed out. Win 10 network trouble shooter said there was a DNS problem, went back into the Asus and put in Open DNS server addresses instead of the obtain automatically default. Same result.

Is thee a way to directly use the AX58U with the ONT or do I need the Zyxel and just disable it's wifi and put the AX58U in access point mode?

sam

Got Consolidated Communications 1Gb fiber installed yesterday (SE NH). Equipment installed is an Adtran 622v-XGS-PON ONT and a Zyxel VMG4927-B50A gateway. Tech said before install that yes I could directly connect the ONT to the AX58U, but then did the install with the Zyxel saying it needed to be there to connect. It seems to be a PPPoE connection. We have 5 AX wifi devices, the Zyxel is only AC and the box to separate the 2 & 5 ghz bands to different SSIDs is greyed out in the Zyxel menu so everything seems to go to the 2.4 band on the Zyxel.

I tried this morning connecting the ONT direct to the Asus. It auto detected the connection (PPPoE), my username & password showed correctly w/o me having to put it in (stored in the ONT? CC sees the ONT when anything connects to it?), shows an internet connection. My computer showed it connected to the internet but every web page timed out. Win 10 network trouble shooter said there was a DNS problem, went back into the Asus and put in Open DNS server addresses instead of the obtain automatically default. Same result.

Is thee a way to directly use the AX58U with the ONT or do I need the Zyxel and just disable it's wifi and put the AX58U in access point mode?

sam
Any chance you figured this out? I'm also in Southern NH and Just had CC Fiber installed. They have me on an ADTRAN 834-5 and It doesn't allow for you to split the 2.4 and 5G bands. I believe though devices will automatically select the best frequency to use. I'm going to play with it tomorrow but when I initially tried I had a similar issue where it said that I had internet when connecting to the web interface but when I went to a website they all timed out.

Sorry I missed this post.

No I never did get it to work. Still don't know why, has to be some settings I needed to tweak but never found any info online on getting CC fiber to work with an Asus as the router. Could be the AX58U isn't powerful enough to handle 1Gb PPPoE. I just disabled the wifi on the Zyxel and put the AX58U in access point mode.

Friday the Zyxel stopped connecting to the web (web LED red should be green when connected), ONT seems to be functioning OK (power, optic and GB LAN LEDs all on & green) so I suspect the Zyxel either failed or some firmware update from CC/Fidium bricked it. Tech coming tomorrow (Mon).

On the DSL Reports CC forum a CC employee says the Zyxels weren't supposed to be used, they're supposed to be the Adtran. As we have 5 AX devices in the house if they replace the Zyxel with an 834-5 I'll have to disable the wifi on it too as it's not wifi6 either.

Sam

Sorry I missed this post.
Only by about 10 months....

If you need AX use your router not the ISP router. Using a true AP though is even better as it does WIFI better as its only task is WIFI w/o the issues of using a router as an AP,

PPPOE is just the authentication protocol and doesn't consume resources on the router more than maybe 0.0001% It's a simple protocol w/ very little overhead but, it's a PITA when it comes to troubleshooting because it's that extra layer of BS to deal with. You could have a link issue or an auth issue if the ISP AAA server isn't accepting the credentials or the DB it's looking up from is borked.

Do providers these days really think PPPOE is still relevant? SMH it's a bit obsolete at this point when you can auth a customer in simpler ways that are less prone to messing it up in the process. When you get outside of consumer lines it's never used as you just plug the line into the router and configure the IP info and you're done.

On the Fidium Reddit people are saying techs are telling them during new installs that CC/Fidium is going to be switching over from PPPoE to DHCP over the next few months.

sam

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!